Better Bottle Cap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnaBonger

Reaction score
I recently purchased a second Better Bottle and this time I opted for the fancy looking orange cap thingy...

universal_carboy_cap.jpg

I'm finding this cap/lid to be loose and not forming a seal... Is that normal with this lid? On my other BB I have the plastic plug type top and I'm confident that it gets a nice airtight seal. I'm not so confident with the new one...

So, I double checked and they are on as far as they'll go and they don't feel tight... I can turn them on the BB with ease.

Is this how they are for others or are the snug to the point of not being able to rotate while on the BB?

Mine are always a bit loose. I use a big tie wrap around the lip to cinch it down a bit tighter.

I have some that fit better than others. I'll use them occasionally for beer, but never again for a wine that needs to age a bit. I have 5 gallons of slightly oxidized chokecherry wine.

Just as I suspected. I used a zip tie thingy to tighten it up and I immediately got lots of airlock activity...

Ed, in your picture you don't have your caps tightened down. Do yours fit properly?

Are there more than one size maybe?

They make special size stoppers for the better bottles. Size 10 or 9.5 IIRC. They work great. My orange cap is also loose. I only use it for racking though as it's so simple. Blow into the mouthpiece and it pushes the liquid out the racking cane. Pretty much eliminates the need for a wine theif.

So, I double checked and they are on as far as they'll go and they don't feel tight... I can turn them on the BB with ease.

Is this how they are for others or are the snug to the point of not being able to rotate while on the BB?

Mine, as pictured, do not spin one bit. They are tighter than...., well they are tight. :D

I bought a couple of orange caps, and do not seem to seal well on ANY of the various carboys and BBs I have around here.

I think the BB is a 10 stopper. It's giant.

I, fortunately, live only 15 minutes from Midwest. I actually ask them for a better bottle when I go buy caps so I can sit by the cap bin and try them on one by one. Some fit well and others are so loose I can't see them being good for anything.

I think i I'll just go with the old tried and true stopper next time I need one... No biggie, just a lesson learned ;)

I bought one to use on my 6-gallon glass carboy that is my primary. I thought it would be a convenient cap for rolling my carboy to aerate it. It didn't fit that tightly. After pushing on, I could turn it fairly easily. I tried it on my other two carboys and it fits a bit tighter on them, but I still can turn it without a lot of torque. I wouldn't even think of using it now for turning the carboy on its side to roll it. I was thinking it might still be good as a stopper during primary fermentation with the push of the CO2 helping provide the seal, but will try the suggestions of a zip tie or rubber band to help tighten it up a bit.

Back