best way to split a batch btw bottles/keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSBrewer

Reaction score
So I experimented with a Banana Fosters Hefeweizen and the plan the whole time was to keg this full batch but the more I think about it I want to try and get a least 6-12 bottles off of it?

Thoughts on the best way to accomplish?

I was originally thinking of splitting the batch and trying to measure an appropriate amount of priming sugar for 1 gal to bottle.

On the other hand can't I use priming sugar instead of force carbing over 2 weeks in the kegerator buy priming the enitre 5 gal batch...bottling as many as I want to and then just put the rest into the keg?

HELP!

I've considered doing this with a couple batches recently.

I recently started carbing my kegged beer with sugar instead of force carbing with the tank, mainly because this allows me to be carbing up new beers while serving other already-carbed beers from my little kegerator.

Since I am carbing with the sugar, I should be able to rack the beer into the keg with the priming solution and immediately hook it to the gas to fill some bottles from the tap. Cap the bottles, seal the keg, and let the keg then sit at room temp. In a couple of weeks, both the keg and the bottles will be carbed.

just go with the normal amount of priming sugar for the full 5 gal then (5oz or so)?

what PSI should I seal the keg with? just hit it with a blast at X PSI, purge, hit it again then just let it sit?

I really can't answer those questions because I have never actually done this..... just considered it.

When I prime a keg with sugar I only use about 3oz. You need less sugar with a keg than you do with bottles. However, since you are bottling, that would mean that you might need more than 3oz... probably need the full dose.

Plus, you will be putting some of it into bottles immediately, so there will be a large headspace in the keg. Don't know what that will cause to happen.

I know... a lot of unanswered questions and things to think about... that's partly why I haven't actually done it yet. :D

One thing you can do is buy those cooper priming drops or PrimeTabs. Little sugar pills. Just put them in the bottles and put your beer in on top. Seal and wait. You could then just force carb the keg normally.

http://www.heartshomebrew.com/home_brew_beer.cgi?&p_id=4305M&xm=on&ppinc=dave2full

I've considered doing this with a couple batches recently.

I recently started carbing my kegged beer with sugar instead of force carbing with the tank, mainly because this allows me to be carbing up new beers while serving other already-carbed beers from my little kegerator.

I'm not sure if you keep your CO2 tank in the fridge or not, but I have mine set up with the tank outside and a gated Y fitting with one line going into the fridge and another set up with a corny fitting, so I can Carb a keg out side while the other ones are there for serving. This has worked great for me. If I know the keg will be sitting for a while before its needed I leave it set at 10 lbs. If I want it carbed quicker I shut the valve to the fridge and turn the regulator up to 30 for a day or two to quick carb the side keg.

You can rack all the beer to the keg. Then fill a few bottles with the flat beer, from the keg and prime with carb tabs. Worked for me.

Back