Best way to manage kegging pipeline.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm about to jump into kegging, and am looking for tips to manage the pipeline. I have 4 corny kegs, but plan on running a 2 tap system. What's the best way to keep the pipeline going?

Can you put a fermented beer in a keg, and then just leave it until you are ready to drink it?

I have 4 kegs and 2 taps. Have extra gas lines so that you can carb what is not on tap.

As I drink from 2 kegs the other 2 are sitting on gas. 2 regulators with manifolds on each would work. One set to pushing pressure (5-6 psi), the other set to carbing pressure (12 psi)

Thanks bend. Is that doable with one regulator?

I have the kegs.. and am about to get the gas and lines this week, so is there a specific type of manifold I should buy?

You don't HAVE to force carb. You can just prime the kegs too. Don't use as much as you would for bottle priming, though or it'll be way overcarbed when you hook it up.

I have 4 kegs and 2 taps. Have extra gas lines so that you can carb what is not on tap.

As I drink from 2 kegs the other 2 are sitting on gas. 2 regulators with manifolds on each would work. One set to pushing pressure (5-6 psi), the other set to carbing pressure (12 psi)

That's amazing. I like where your head is at.

I have 11 kegs and six taps (with room for 7 kegs total cold.) You can keep the beers kegged at room temp just like bottles with no ill effects. I brew every other weekend. I primary for a month and cold crash the carboys. I then keg the beers and using a cheap steel CO2 tank I got off ebay I carb the beers at room temperature. It can take weeks (or months) before they get to the keezer/keggerator but that's OK. They will be carbed when they get there and simply need 24hrs to chill. Even better since my keezer holds 5 but only has 4 taps I can have a beer chilled and carbed just waiting for another keg to blow. No better feeling than having the depression of a blown keg replaced with the knowledge that another is ready to tap....and drink.

I then keg the beers and using a cheap steel CO2 tank I got off ebay I carb the beers at room temperature. It can take weeks (or months) before they get to the keezer/keggerator but that's OK.

Do they carb finer at room temp rather than fridge temp?

I have 5 kegs and run 2 taps. I have a 3 way gas splitter that I run two kegs off and have the 3rd split to carbonate/seal/fill bottles.

Are you REQUIRED to pressurize the beer before letting it sit, or is that just to avoid the wait to carbonate when you're ready to throw it in the kegerater?

Thanks bend. Is that doable with one regulator?

I have the kegs.. and am about to get the gas and lines this week, so is there a specific type of manifold I should buy?

Yeah, right now I pull it off with 1 regulator. Just have to adjust the psi as to where my beer is in the process and leads to pouring beer using 12 psi which is close to being a rocket.

I have a splitter and then 2 other splitters. off of that giving me 4 lines. Now that I am running out of things to buy for my brew stand, I'll be upgrading the Keezer with another regulator.

Why not balance your beer lines to give a good pour at 12 psi?

It's still a good pour it just shocks the crap out of the wife when I bump it fro 6 to 12 to carb new kegs. Glass fills Right Now!!

Are you REQUIRED to pressurize the beer before letting it sit, or is that just to avoid the wait to carbonate when you're ready to throw it in the kegerater?

It's a good idea to hit the keg with 30 psi or so and purge the tank a couple of times to get the oxygen out of the keg, as well as seal the lid.

Good tips! I'm newbie too. My goal is to run two taps and currently only have two kegs. I plan to get another two. For now I have two 6 gallon better bottles and will do primary to keg only. I am wondering too if this can keep my pipe line running smoothly so I can always have two taps running...

I don't get it. Are you using short lines or wide id tubing? My beer pours just fine at 12psi - 10' of 3/16''id.

What type of beer are you serving and what is the temperature of your beer? According to this carbonation chart, are you under-carbonating at 5-6 PSI (unless you're serving only stouts and/or porters.) ??

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

I am here to help shed some light on kegging systems! As St. Marcos hinted at, you need to have your system balanced...not adjust pressures!!!!!!!!!!!!

First, use the beer carbonation chart that Seven posted. Find your serving temperature and cross reference it with the style's carbonation recommendation and apply that pressure for a week. I force carb but do not use the 30 psi and shake method. That's a good way to overpressure your beer which takes a week to bleed off properly. If you are determined to carb faster, do the shake method at the target pressure to avoid overshooting but wait 24 hours before serving or you'll get foam.

You can carbonate at room temp using the chart, however, you'll need to chill it to serve. Make sure you apply the carbing pressure to keg while chilling since it will require more CO2 at colder pressures to achieve a proper carb level.

THERE IS NO SEPARATE SERVING PRESSURE!!!! This is the biggest myth I see propagated by "experienced" keggers to noobs! At one time I also believed this myth. However, THE PRESSURE IS ALWAYS APPLIED FOR CARBONATION!! Now there are those who say that then it pours too fast and foams....yes it does. That means you need a longer serving line. Most keg systems youbuy come with a 5 ft or shorter hose...its too short. Use an 8-10 run of beer line to compensate for at typical 13-14 psi carb at 38F. If you are curious to learn more, search for threads or google draft line balancing or visit micromatic for some good educational material.

And please continue to spread the word on proper kegging practices!!!!!

THERE IS NO SEPARATE SERVING PRESSURE!!!!

You are absolutely correct!

Over time the beer in the keg will saturate to be in a state of equilibrium with the external gas/C02 pressure. If you have your regulator set to 10 PSI, over days/weeks the beer will absorb C02 until it has the same amount as the "external" gas pressure, i.e., 10 PSI.

If you force carbonate your beer to some other pressure, say 30 PSI, then drop the regulator down to a different "serving pressure" over time the beer will release C02 until it again matches the external pressure of whatever your new "serving pressure" is.

In the above example if you force carbonate to 30 PSI, then drop it to a "serving pressure" of 5 PSI, eventually the beer will release C02 (de-carbonate) until it matches the new setting of 5 PSI. The end result = under-carbonated beer. :(

As Chemkrafty said, there is no such thing as a "serving pressure." Just the pressure you wish to set your carbonation level at.

Back