Best way to control Ferm Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hophopenstein

Reaction score
Been trying to figure out the best way to control my fermentation temps. Also dont want to spend a ton of money so at this point a fermentation vessel is not in the cards. Was thinking of the heater wraps used with a Johnson thermostat or doing the aquarium heater route. Would like to here your oppinions on this as most if not all of you know more about this than I do. New ideas welcomed. Thanks

If you could describe the environment your attempting to ferment in (temp and how much it swings) you will tend to get some more refined suggestions.

My basement in the winter months is between 55-60 summer is between 65-70 sometimes it might be higher but for the most part the temps stay in these regions.

I've used a small(cheap) space heater set to the low heat setting with a temp controller inside a small chamber made from foam board insulation. I recently used this to ferment a belgian ale at 80* and it worked great. I also have a square hole cut out of the side to accomodate a mini fridge(got for free) with the door removed. I can keep the frementation well below ambient temps, and can switch the temp controller from heating to cooling as necessary.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
here's the way i control temps. works for any ale or lager fermentation. there's even at least one user here who's actually lagered in this setup. :mug:

I beat you to your own post. ;-)

Johnson controller with a chest freezer from craigs list is a pretty cheap way to do it and you'll be within a degree or 2.

Back