Best type of fermentation vessel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewbieVet3

Reaction score
I’m new at brewing beer, but have been doing cider for several years using the Big Mouth Bubbler and 3 piece airlock setup. My first all grain beer fermentation was definitely “vigorous,” and the beer fermented through the airlock and actually pushed the top off the carboy. (Lesson learned and next time I’ll use a blowoff rig.) It got me thinking, though, about switching to glass, or even to a stainless steel carboy. Are there any opinions as to which is best? Plastic, glass, or steel?

I am at the moment fermenting 5-6gallon batches in an 8 Gallon plastic fermenter with a cilindrical water lock and it works great for me, haven't had any blowovers even with the most aggressive yeast strains.

In the near future I think I might upgrade to this unit.
https://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/fermenters/products/brewbucket
It is quite a bit money to spend though but people seem to think they are well worth the price.

Glass wouldn't be an option to me, I think it's simply too dangerous/too heavy and it doesn't offer any real improvement over a plastic fermenter to me.

I went for an SS Brewtech Brewbucket with blow off and was very happy.

Later, I acquired the domed lid with a 3" TC blow off attachment and was even happier. I imagine that most any stainless fermenter of proper size will do just fine.

Seems like SS is preferred. How do you do temperature regulation for fermentation? My current carboys fit in a chest freezer I temperature control, but SS seems too big for my current setup.

I have a Spike CF15 and love it. Also have a Speidel 60L. Not as easy to use but much less expensive. For smaller batches I have plastic "Big Mouth", "Fermonster" and "Better Bottle".
I prefer the CF15 over all others. After that I like the Big Mouth.
Bottom Line is they all make great beer. If you go with the plastic think about the ported version.
Good luck.

If you've got the money, I'm sure the SS is great. I personally think people should focus on perfecting the steps instead of having perfect equipment. I have been brewing for a few years and still use a 6.5 gallon glass carboy (https://www.northernbrewer.com/6-5-gallon-acid-carboy). Gives you plenty of head space for 'vigorous' fermentation and you can still throw on a blow off if you're worried about it. The best part is, as someone else mentioned, a lot of the tech out in the market now for fermentation temp control is already designed for your standard carboy. Just make sure you have a good brush and plenty of PBW :).

I have a Spike CF15 and love it. Also have a Speidel 60L. Not as easy to use but much less expensive. For smaller batches I have plastic "Big Mouth", "Fermonster" and "Better Bottle".
I prefer the CF15 over all others. After that I like the Big Mouth.

How do you temp control the CF15? Does it fit in a refrigerator or keezer?

I'm gonna second the classic 6.5 gal carboy. There's is just something to be said about how glass is easiest to sanitize. Although I have to see I've been increasingly interested in the new plastic vessels that are being sold. For example, Fermonster looks particularly interesting.

Stainless Steel for the win in my opinion, followed by good food grade plastic. I started with a glass carboy, and it now sits as decoration. Steel and plastic don't shatter. Steel cleans just as easy if not easier than glass imo. There are plenty of different types of stainless fermenters out there. If you stick with a smaller buck type they should fit into any fridge or freezer for temp controls. If you can't spring the extra cash plastic works great.

I prefer being able to see what's going on. There's something satisfying about watching the krausen form, peak and fall. I generally check on my ferementer a couple times a day during the active phase just to monitor the progress. Do I need to watch the fermentation? Nope, but I do enjoy it.

I don't like glass because it's heavy and I have concerns about breakage. SS?...why pay more for something that's less satisfying for me?

I use a big mouth bubbler...inexpensive, easy to clean, meets my needs. I have many things I'd like to upgrade in my brew house...fermenter isn't one of them.

Edited to add: corny kegs make great secondary fermenters. I use them for big stouts where I want to bulk age. I can purge with CO2, draw off samples any time I want and it's also easy to add bourbon/oak cubes, vanilla beans, etc. When it's ready, I remove any additions (in a mesh bag), purge with CO2 again, cold crash, carbonate and serve in (or bottle from) the same vessel.

Another vote for SS. A Brewtech Brewbucket has a pretty small footprint. Easily fits where any carboy would.

I really like disposable plastic carboys (most are 4 gallons, and about the size of a glass 3-gallon.) I've reused some a dozen times and never had a problem with them. I used to like glass better, until I dropped one. :( I still use glass sometimes for wine.

Another stainless option to consider is the new Anvil fermenter. It costs quite a bit less than the SS, I have both and personally like it just as much.

I use speidel 80l, easy to carry, easy to clean, somewhat see through. With spigots for super easy transfer

Don’t like glass, too heavy, need siphons, hard to clean

At some point I’ll upgrade to SS

Back