Best Product/Method for 5L Mini Keg Sanitizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GT-Rpilot

Reaction score
Hello all,

First post, first true beer attempt, so pardon the newb-ness!

Bought all the gear to home brew many years ago, and my wife gave me the Party Star 5L mini keg kit not long after. Due to "life", I never got around to studying and getting my home brewing off the ground, although I did try a Mr. Beer kit and have brewed at a local craft beer pub that let's you create a batch of their own selections using their equipment. Well, that has changed and I'm ready to go it alone and brew my own!

Now that I've learned the basics and have all my gear ready, I have not figured out the best way to sanitize these 5L mini kegs! I've search this forum and the internet in general and have seen some preferences, but I get different answers from the "official" sources. For example, 5-Star does not recommend Star-San since the acid will turn the insides black. Midwest Supply does not recommend One Step for the same reason.

I just need to know the easiest way to sanitize from those out there using these regularly. Looking for a no-rinse option product, but will resort to adding boiling water or no-detergent dishwasher cycle if there's nothing out there that won't damage my kegs.

Thanks in advance for the assistance to a new brewer!!!

Back