Best place to buy kegerators

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dont have enough room live in a apartment and the wife doesnt want something looking out of place.
Wanted to go chest freezer route but she says no

A lot of the ones I've seen are pretty limited in capacity (full disclosure, I haven't done a lot of research).

Check out the DIY section on this site. There are some nice chest freezer builds if you have access to tools and are comfortable using them. Or look at creative ways to make one more in line with her "guidelines" with decorations, hiding places, etc.

even if space is an issue, you can buy a small deep freezer big enough for a keg or two, throw a collar on it, and call it a day. probably half the cost also

I started with a pre-built kegerator before I even homebrewed. It was a one-tap model similar to this one, which I ended up converting myself to a three-tap model by getting a slightly wider 2-tap tower and then drilling a hole for a third faucet as well.

If I was going to do it over, I'd just go all out and buy this one and have three taps. If you're going to have three kegs, might as well make sure they're all able to serve. And the price difference between the single-tap and the three-tap model is worth it.

I would HIGHLY consider replacing faucets with Perlick front-sealing models. This is available as an upgrade from Beverage Factory. But standard faucets stick badly if you aren't pulling beers daily (or more), and the Perlick will not have this issue. This is MORE than worth it, and you'll find yourself doing it down the road if you don't do it up front, so it's slightly cheaper to start with the good stuff.

I started with a pre-built kegerator before I even homebrewed. It was a one-tap model similar to this one, which I ended up converting myself to a three-tap model by getting a slightly wider 2-tap tower and then drilling a hole for a third faucet as well.

If I was going to do it over, I'd just go all out and buy this one and have three taps. If you're going to have three kegs, might as well make sure they're all able to serve. And the price difference between the single-tap and the three-tap model is worth it.

I would HIGHLY consider replacing faucets with Perlick front-sealing models. This is available as an upgrade from Beverage Factory. But standard faucets stick badly if you aren't pulling beers daily (or more), and the Perlick will not have this issue. This is MORE than worth it, and you'll find yourself doing it down the road if you don't do it up front, so it's slightly cheaper to start with the good stuff.

Given your comments, I think the Keg King kegerator (from several vendors listed above) would be a better option. It's got the intertap forward sealing taps, cools down two 26 (less likely to struggle getting down to proper serving temps) and it comes with built in tower cooling fan. After adding tower cooling to my kegerator, I'd never buy one without. Oh, and it's about the same price as the one you say you'd buy if you had it to do over again.

Oh, and it's about the same price as the one you say you'd buy if you had it to do over again.

I should point out that I wouldn't "do it over again"... I built a keezer with a collar and sold the original. The keezer worked for several years but eventually the freezer died, and I ended up building my own kegerator with a stand-up convertible fridge/freezer. I've got six taps through the door.

This is what it was like before I put the nicer drip trays in...

14032755_1096711310411574_108953571_n.jpg

The places mentioned above are all good - but, also, check out your local options. I simply found what I wanted on line and took picture/specs into my local appliance store. They found the same thing, ordered it (no shipping), delivered it themselves to my basement - and, piece of mind that if anything went wrong with either of the two I bought - they are a phone call away to fix or replace,etc.... I think it ended up costing roughly the same in the end.

A totally different branch off this thread will be suggestions for a good kegerator for you to purchase. Good meaning durability, function and the ability to keep kegs cold at various ambient temps including inside the home, poolside or in a garage.

I cant say enough good about BevAir. I have one full size unit and 2 model BM23s which hold one full 15.5G barrel or 3 5G corny kegs. This unit is on rollers so it is portable if desired...or simply leave it in place. BevAir will work directly with you in configuring this unit with tap towers, faucets, air manifolds and the like. They will even punch a CO2 line in it so you can use an external tank if desired. BevAir will direct you to one of their associated dealers to handle the payment and shipping information. This is a product I have 25 years of experience with and they have earned my trust. Don't go cheap or you'll be singing the blues.

So basically everywhere...you can buy a kegerator everywhere

Upgrade or switch to Perlick flow control taps

Check craigslist...I've seen them for dirt cheap

+1 on the prelick taps..... Lots of them come with cheap chrome taps - get good ones as an upgrade or just buy them and swap them out.

+1 on the prelick taps..... Lots of them come with cheap chrome taps - get good ones as an upgrade or just buy them and swap them out.

I just spent a week in Asheville NC which is a huge craft beer epicenter on the east coast. While there I visited no less than 20 breweries ranging in size from Sierra Nevada and New Belgium all the way down to tiny operations with 2 or 3 BBL tanks.

Of course I took note of their equipment including taps and tap systems. By far, the overwhelming majority are using Perlick taps. Many of those (probably most) using Perlick had the flow control model.

Of course I took note of their equipment including taps and tap systems. By far, the overwhelming majority are using Perlick taps. Many of those (probably most) using Perlick had the flow control model.
when I see a foamy keg thread or line balancing thread I always mention flow control because they work. I Can't tell ya how many times I've heard "why do you keep pushing them" or "Whatta ya have stock in them"

No..its because they work and solve all those issues....Good to hear the pros are using them....The sweet smell of validation :D

when I see a foamy keg thread or line balancing thread I always mention flow control because they work. I Can't tell ya how many times I've heard "why do you keep pushing them" or "Whatta ya have stock in them"

No..its because they work and solve all those issues....Good to hear the pros are using them....The sweet smell of validation :D

Absolutely, JONNYROTTEN, they WORK!

They are incredibly efficient and easy to use. I throttle down the pour (with the FC valve) at the beginning when the tap is warm since excessive foaming seems to happen when cold beer hits a warm faucet. Once the beer has cooled down the tap, I'll open the valve a bit to increase the flow with virtually no excess foam. Of course if I do want a 3/4" head on my pour, using the flow control valve effectively allows me this flexibility.

After using these Perlick FC taps, you can bet you wont find any other in my system.

So guys and gals, just an update.
After all your fantastic ideas and recommendations i ended up buying from more beer.
It is a keg king with Intertap flow control faucets, went for the 2 faucet and further down the line if i need 3 i can get a new tower and tap.

The service from more beer was fantastic and delivered within 2 days.

All i have to do now is place in position and attach draft tower.

Thank you all,

PS I found a kegerator on craigs list for $80 with 2 ball lock 5 gallon kegs, unfortunately when i finally got in contact with seller it had just been picked up. Bummer

Back