Best PID for mash fermeter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gr3

Reaction score
I'm building a unit and would like the pids to be able to pull out of mounted socket. I need one for mash then one for my refig on fermenter. The refrigerator needs to be on off.

pids arent really ideal for controlling a fridge... You would be better suited to get a thermostat type controller. they wont work in pid mode for this anyway since there needs to be time delays in place for compressor life.

I dont quite follow the mounted socket thing either but its probably just me...

So none of the PIDS just cycle on and off. I have seen pids that pop in and out on some controllers.

So none of the PIDS just cycle on and off. I have seen pids that pop in and out on some controllers.
are you sure your not thinking of a temp controller and not an actual pid controller?
pids cyle on and of at varying rates to control a very fine setpoint sometimes multiple times a second... Your compressor in a fridge can only safely be turned on and off once in a period of so many minutes or you will burn it up... that's why johnson and stc1000 temp controllers have settings and delays for this.

Listen to augie. You don't want a PID for anything with a compressor in it (unless you like replacing equipment regularly.)

Brew on :mug:

Which PIDS are best to use for mashing and wort.

BCS for real control.

Most PIDs also have Hysteresis which is fine for a compressor. Aubrins has one with an example of a fermentation chambers

BCS for real control.

Most PIDs also have Hysteresis which is fine for a compressor. Aubrins has one with an example of a fermentation chambers

The way some PIDs control power output is by PCM and you really don't want to be trying to control a compressor like that.
There are some that are designed for regular relays but then they would not be the best to use for HLT/mash control.
A simple controller e.g. STC-1000 is enough or a BrewPi if you need more functionality such as logging and automated temperature profiles.

BCS for real control.

yes if set up right thay can be used for it but since the OP has no idea what or how to do this I decided to keep it simple... besides the correct temp controller can be purchased for $15 with probe... most pids with this capability are almost twice that price and then you have to buy a separate probe only to dumb it all down to work exactly as the $14 stc 1000...

BCS is great too but you got a guy asked for the equivalent of a calculator to add things up and your trying to sell him a PC he knows nothing about...
more confusing than helping imo but hey..

This or any of the clones will work great for your fridge/freezer temp controls (I have like 10 of them I use)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-S...sor-AC-110V-/281368781200?hash=item4182e2e190

This or many of the variants (make sure they are for SSR control and not relay with wil great for mash temp control.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MYPIN-Dual-...TA6-SNR-Ssr-/361370958224?hash=item5423633990

if you are looking for something for your Boil kettle I suggest a mypin TD4 or equilvilent with manual pwm mode built in.

the aubrins units work ok too except the cycle time on them is much slower than the mypins from what Ive read here. you can buy the cheaper $47+sh analog aubrins pid direct from china for $25 labeled as the xmt-612. (auberins has them made there which means they likely buy them in bulk for like $10-15 a piece and then sell them for $50)

This or any of the clones will work great for your fridge/freezer temp controls (I have like 10 of them I use)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-S...sor-AC-110V-/281368781200?hash=item4182e2e190

This or many of the variants (make sure they are for SSR control and not relay with wil great for mash temp control.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MYPIN-Dual-...TA6-SNR-Ssr-/361370958224?hash=item5423633990

if you are looking for something for your Boil kettle I suggest a mypin TD4 or equilvilent with manual pwm mode built in.

the aubrins units work ok too except the cycle time on them is much slower than the mypins from what Ive read here. you can buy the cheaper $47+sh analog aubrins pid direct from china for $25 labeled as the xmt-612. (auberins has them made there which means they likely buy them in bulk for like $10-15 a piece and then sell them for $50)

You can definitely buy xmt-612 or TD4 controller directly from China, like Alibaba or Ebay, if you are smart enough and you don't need any local tech support. Please be aware that China has a lot of clone or counterfeit controllers, hopefully you get a genuine one.

Here is the description for TD4 cycle rate.
"Normally, the control cycle of the heating equipment should be 20-30 seconds. For huge capacity heating equipments, the value should be 30-120 seconds, in order to longer the use life of the relay. For non-contact output, such as SSR control output, the value should be 1-3."

Here is the description for auber SYL-2362 cycle rate.
"Note 10. Cycle rate (ot): It is the time period (in seconds) that controller uses to calculate its output. e.g. If ot=2, and controller output is set to 10%, the heater will be on 0.2 s e c o n d and off 1.8 second s for every 2 seconds. Smaller ot result in more precision control. For SSR output, ot is normally set at 2. For relay or contactor output, it should be set longer to prevent contacts from wearing out too soon. It normally set to 20~40 seconds."

Is this cycle rate only related to your controller, or your SSR?

You can definitely buy xmt-612 or TD4 controller directly from China, like Alibaba or Ebay, if you are smart enough and you don't need any local tech support. Please be aware that China has a lot of clone or counterfeit controllers, hopefully you get a genuine one.

Here is the description for TD4 cycle rate.
"Normally, the control cycle of the heating equipment should be 20-30 seconds. For huge capacity heating equipments, the value should be 30-120 seconds, in order to longer the use life of the relay. For non-contact output, such as SSR control output, the value should be 1-3."

Here is the description for auber SYL-2362 cycle rate.
"Note 10. Cycle rate (ot): It is the time period (in seconds) that controller uses to calculate its output. e.g. If ot=2, and controller output is set to 10%, the heater will be on 0.2 s e c o n d and off 1.8 second s for every 2 seconds. Smaller ot result in more precision control. For SSR output, ot is normally set at 2. For relay or contactor output, it should be set longer to prevent contacts from wearing out too soon. It normally set to 20~40 seconds."

Is this cycle rate only related to your controller, or your SSR?

I have yet to hear of a clone of the mypin pids...Ive bought many now and never had and issue. (unlike the fotek ssrs) There is a thread here that shows the xmt-612 and auber branded one pulled apart side by side and they are indentical clones as far as boards and components... the original auber branded ones are made in china.(possibly by the same folks)
You make a good point about the fact that auber is the way to go if you need someone to "support them" by helping you understand how to setup and use instead of using the directions (the auber directions would be the same for the xmt) or coming here as many end up doing anyways regardless of brand.

I have been told the cycle time on the auber units wasnt as short. I have not had one in my hands to check though... As far as the mypins, if you set them to manual pwm mode and set it at say 20... the pid activates the ssr for 20% of every second not every 2 seconds ... and so forth. Thanks for clarifying that in fact the auber unit does not have as fine of a control in that respect. Unless it can actually be set to 1?

I have yet to hear of a clone of the mypin pids...Ive bought many now and never had and issue. (unlike the fotek ssrs) There is a thread here that shows the xmt-612 and auber branded one pulled apart side by side and they are indentical clones as far as boards and components... the original auber branded ones are made in china.(possibly by the same folks)
You make a good point about the fact that auber is the way to go if you need someone to "support them" by helping you understand how to setup and use instead of using the directions (the auber directions would be the same for the xmt) or coming here as many end up doing anyways regardless of brand.

I have been told the cycle time on the auber units wasnt as short. I have not had one in my hands to check though... As far as the mypins, if you set them to manual pwm mode and set it at say 20... the pid activates the ssr for 20% of every second not every 2 seconds ... and so forth. Thanks for clarifying that in fact the auber unit does not have as fine of a control in that respect. Unless it can actually be set to 1?

LOL. If you can buy some "clone" iphone and disassemble it, you can find it uses almost the same parts like genuine iphone has. Maybe you need to think their software/firmware a little bit.

"I have been told the cycle time on the auber units wasnt as short. "
By default it is set to 2. You can set it to 1 or whatever.

"if you set them to manual pwm mode and set it at say 20... the pid activates the ssr for 20% of every second not every 2 seconds ... and so forth."
I cannot find this statement in mypin manual. Is it your test result or an official statement from mypin? Or do you work at mypin so you get some extra information?

"Thanks for clarifying that in fact the auber unit does not have as fine of a control in that respect. Unless it can actually be set to 1?"
Wait a minute. How do you come to this conclusion?

LOL. If you can buy some "clone" iphone and disassemble it, you can find it uses almost the same parts like genuine iphone has. Maybe you need to think their software/firmware a little bit.

"I have been told the cycle time on the auber units wasnt as short. "
By default it is set to 2. You can set it to 1 or whatever.

"if you set them to manual pwm mode and set it at say 20... the pid activates the ssr for 20% of every second not every 2 seconds ... and so forth." V
I cannot find this statement in mypin manual. Is it your test result or an official statement from mypin? Or do you work at mypin so you get some extra information?

"Thanks for clarifying that in fact the auber unit does not have as fine of a control in that respect. Unless it can actually be set to 1?"
Wait a minute. How do you come to this conclusion?
No need to get cocky. Sorry I should have mentioned the xmt 612 is identical in menu and funtion to the auber and this is also why the same operating instructions work for either...
The clone iphones were better than the apple units for a while with better components.. popular mechanics had a writeup on it.

If 2 is as low as the auber unit goes than it only fires once every 2 seconds...if it goes down to one then it has the capability to work as the my pin. If not then the my pin has the capability of twice the refresh rate/ firing rate. This theoretically would make it superior.. whether its enough to make a practical difference is unlikely but I don't know.

Latest posts

Back