Best News Headlines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, that's only for peeps who don't have a familial history lurking over them.
My dad had a foot of his colon removed (and lived another 20 years) so I have to go the hard-core route.
"Thanks, Dad!" ;)

Prep is an interesting exercise in explosive decompression, but over the last few years the anesthesia has progressed from Versa-something/Demerol to Prophen-something, which makes waking up much more like a light switch flipping than swimming interminably up through the seaweed festooned consciousness for half an hour.
My first is coming up on the 31st. Doctor has me on a no-fiber diet for a whole week before. I am not looking forward to a whole week of nothing but white rice, chicken, eggs and white bread...

My first is coming up on the 31st. Doctor has me on a no-fiber diet for a whole week before. I am not looking forward to a whole week of nothing but white rice, chicken, eggs and white bread...
Never had to go thru that with any of mine (had at least three so far.) Did doc say why they wanted you doing this as part of prep?

Brew on :mug:

Never had to go thru that with any of mine (had at least three so far.) Did doc say why they wanted you doing this as part of prep?

Nope. I’ve never even seen the doc. My last appt I saw a nurse (?) who gave me a 10 page prep guideline and asked if I had any questions. I’m not sure if I will ever actually see the doc. They might have me knocked out before he gets there…

Prep is an interesting exercise in explosive decompression, but over the last few years the anesthesia has progressed from Versa-something/Demerol to Prophen-something, which makes waking up much more like a light switch flipping than swimming interminably up through the seaweed festooned consciousness for half an hour.
So after my last procto-exploratory exam, the buttmeister told me that I've reached the age where 'Uranus probes' are no longer required or desired. Seems that if colorectal "C" presented, it is so slow to matasticise that, statistically, something else would kill me first!

Not so sure that's a good thing.

From my hometown back east.

299390035_10159880167459194_595981932163085127_n.jpg

Lived in Endicott for 36 yrs, until 2013. Don't see a lot of headlines from there on the west coast.

As did I, for over 50 years. I remember you mentioning you worked for IBM probably, during the same time that I worked there. One of these days I’ll PM you. If we don’t know each other we likely still know some of the same people.

While totally awesome, that headline seems improbable. Here's what the site has right now:

1661030272050.png

The local FOX affiliate was a bit more restrained...

1661030391314.png

Cheers! ;)

While totally awesome, that headline seems improbable. Here's what the site has right now:

View attachment 778271

The local FOX affiliate was a bit more restrained...

View attachment 778272

Cheers! ;)
Dick’s originally began in that county as a sporting goods shop way back when I was a kid. There were two stores, the main store in Binghamton and a smaller satellite store in Vestal closer to my house. It was founded by the Stack family. My sister-in-law is a Stack.

i've heard most people's symptoms are minor, and just start listening to a lot of thrash metal? (instead of pop)

"Once a rabies infection is established, there's no effective treatment. Though a small number of people have survived rabies, the disease usually causes death."

So, no. Kidding or otherwise...

"Once a rabies infection is established, there's no effective treatment. Though a small number of people have survived rabies, the disease usually causes death."

So, no. Kidding or otherwise...
And the treatment ain't no picnic either, if you're fortunate enough to get the shot(s), emphasis on the plural.

Leaky and Listing, 108-Year-Old Battleship Texas Completes Trip Before $35M Repair Job

a beautiful dreadnought, underway again. glad she's getting herself a makeover.

let's list her accomplishments, shall we?

she participated in the landings at Normandy, Iwo Jima & Okinawa & earned 5 battle stars for service in WW2

she was the first US battleship to mount anti-aircraft guns, the first US ship to control gunfire with directors and range-keepers, the first US battleship to launch an aircraft and one of the first US Navy ships to receive production radar.

Texas was the first US battleship to become a permanent museum ship, the first battleship declared to be a US National Historic Landmark and is the only remaining World War I era dreadnought battleship. She is also one of the eight remaining ships and the only remaining capital ship to have served in both World Wars

visiting her has been on my bucket list for years. can't wait to see her all shiny new looking!

also on my bucket list; USS Wisconsin (BB-64), a much closer trip
sailed into battle with Wiskey, we share the same Combat Action Ribbon (only one of hers)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Wisconsin_(BB-64)

Last edited:
Leaky and Listing, 108-Year-Old Battleship Texas Completes Trip Before $35M Repair Job

a beautiful dreadnought, underway again. glad she's getting herself a makeover.

let's list her accomplishments, shall we?

she participated in the landings at Normandy, Iwo Jima & Okinawa & earned 5 battle stars for service in WW2

she was the first US battleship to mount anti-aircraft guns, the first US ship to control gunfire with directors and range-keepers, the first US battleship to launch an aircraft and one of the first US Navy ships to receive production radar.

Texas was the first US battleship to become a permanent museum ship, the first battleship declared to be a US National Historic Landmark and is the only remaining World War I era dreadnought battleship. She is also one of the eight remaining ships and the only remaining capital ship to have served in both World Wars

visiting her has been on my bucket list for years. can't wait to see her all shiny new looking!

also on my bucket list; USS Wisconsin (BB-64), a much closer trip
sailed into battle with Wiskey, we share the same Combat Action Ribbon (only one of hers)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Wisconsin_(BB-64)
We're you also a Battleship Brethren?

I, too, served (very briefly) on a battleship, the Iowa class USS New Jersey BB-62, shortly before she received decommissioning orders in the summer of 1969. Of course, there was a recommissioning in the 80s as a cruise missile launcher. When I was on board, there were still the three 16" main batteries. Very impressive ship, now almost 80 years old.

We're you also a Battleship Brethren?

I, too, served (very briefly) on a battleship, the Iowa class USS New Jersey BB-62, shortly before she received decommissioning orders in the summer of 1969. Of course, there was a recommissioning in the 80s as a cruise missile launcher. When I was on board, there were still the three 16" main batteries. Very impressive ship, now almost 80 years old.
USS Hawes FFG-53

we were part of Wisconsin's battle group

USS Hawes FFG-53

we were part of Wisconsin's battle group
When I was aboard, the New Jersey had just returned from the gun line in the Tonkin Gulf. We were Stateside ported in Long Beach for requal of gun crews, both 16"ers and 5"38 batteries. The gunners dropped a metric crap ton of ordnance on San Clemente Island in the Santa Barbara Channel that summer. Then suddenly the decommissioning orders came in.

At the time, the New Jersey was the sole battleship actively commissioned in the U.S. fleet, or in the world for that matter. It wasn't until the 80s when the New Jersey was again brought out of mothballs that Iowa and Wisconsin were also recommissionded and refitted with a multiple Tomahawk cruise missile battery replacing the aft 16" gun mount battery.

lobbing Volkswagens.

be terrifying to be on the receiving end of those barrages.

scared the Iraqis so much during Desert Storm, they were surrendering to the FO drones; they knew what was coming next.

Last edited:
Back