Best News Headlines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do Americans have problems with these words as you must have towns named Gloucester, Worcester, Edinburgh. My family originate from a village in south Cheshire called Cholmondeley but pronounced Chumley.

Why do Americans have problems with these words as you must have towns named Gloucester, Worcester, Edinburgh. My family originate from a village in south Cheshire called Cholmondeley but pronounced Chumley.
you pretty much answered your own question with that second half... "i come from a village named Bzohxynsquenistershire... it's pronounced "Bob'" :D

as a former resident of new england, i can confirm that there are many towns with such UK names. i can also confirm that new englanders have their won special ways of slaughtering those names,

Let's not undersell some of the city names here in the "new" world. The blending of a number of languages including the native tribes has given us some pretty good ones too.

Anyone want to take a shot at Ypsilanti?

And you have Satan's Kingdom!
Screenshot_20240116_210534_Chrome.jpg

Maybe I'm the exception, but I really don't want to see that.
After reading this: https://www.glassdoor.ca/Reviews/Vistek-Reviews-E435651.htm I'd like to watch it, but it no longer plays. (For the record, I was catastrophically injured in such an environment....Dilbert, however true, isn't funny for me since then.)
Is it just me that thinks that'd be a great way to go? Heck, I've been here long enough!
:ban:

Maybe I'm the exception, but I really don't want to see that.
Fair enough, but there is dark humor in someone of that standing choosing to make such a grandiose and childish entrance to his employees in celebration of himself. Reminded me of the puppet movie "Team America: World Police", stage set and all.

I was just shocked to find out that :1, he chose to leave India to go to college in Allentown PA. And 2, he was able to get out of Allentown and be productive. (Joking my freinds who are out there)

Seriously though, terrible accident, but WTF was point of the stunt to begin with? This is how I hear the conversation in my mind:

"Hey let's walk out to a bunch of pyrotechnics. "

"Nah too common, needs to be much more grandiose!"

"Hey, I seem to remember a WWF wrestler that dropped into ring for event one time"

"How did that work out?"

"I'm telling you he killed it! It has left a permenent impression."

"Yes, let's do that!"

Last edited:
Straight up is most likely ok but anything with any angle still going to have a lot momentum and will get ya.
If you can shoot straight up, accurately enough that you're the one who catches the bullet when it comes back down, then sure... straight up is OK.

Nobody should ever be just shooting into the air. Excepting shotguns loaded with birdshot, I suppose.

I'm not trying to get on your case, personally. But I believe in responsible gun ownership and I hate hearing about idiots firing into the air to "celebrate".

If you can shoot straight up, accurately enough that you're the one who catches the bullet when it comes back down, then sure... straight up is OK.

Nobody should ever be just shooting into the air. Excepting shotguns loaded with birdshot, I suppose.

I'm not trying to get on your case, personally. But I believe in responsible gun ownership and I hate hearing about idiots firing into the air to "celebrate".
I agree, shooting in the air is stupid and dangerous. I was just referencing the post prior about the Mythbusters testing based on the terminal velocity of a bullet coming straight down

Back