Best News Headlines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heck, I've been wondering if Orca's had anything to do with it and at the same time, been waiting for Greenpeace or somesuch to offer a Scholarship Challenge to engineering students to design a can-opener that Orca's can use.

Just a few miles up the road from me, right near the beach we hang out on. I assume this is the same humpback that spends summers in this quiet bay. I've watched it many times over the past few years. A lot of kayakers hang out tempting fate in the area around where it generally surfaces. Jjust a matter of time before an encounter took place.

I was fishing off the pier in Cayucos a few years ago when a humpback whale came into the bay. You could always tell where it was going to surface because it was preceded by a spray of silver anchovy, trying to get away. As it moved closer to the pier, I quickly reeled in my line but got caught on one of the pylons. I had my pole bowed, trying to pull it free, just as the whale surfaced under me. My mom was on the beach with my sister at the time and said that it looked just like I had caught the whale.

I was fishing off the pier in Cayucos a few years ago when a humpback whale came into the bay. You could always tell where it was going to surface because it was preceded by a spray of silver anchovy, trying to get away. As it moved closer to the pier, I quickly reeled in my line but got caught on one of the pylons. I had my pole bowed, trying to pull it free, just as the whale surfaced under me. My mom was on the beach with my sister at the time and said that it looked just like I had caught the whale.
I was in Alaska 25-30 years ago and got to observe first hand a pod of humpback whales doing what the naturalist on our trip called "bubble net fishing." Whales don't usually hunt cooperatively, but during the days before they migrate to the waters between Maui and the Big Island of Hawai'i they need to fatten up. Anyway, a couple of females will swim a mile or so from a central area where fish will be concentrated, while loudly slapping their flukes on the surface of the water. This 'concentrates' the bait fish, scaring them towards the center. The matriarch of the pod goes sounder and dives deep underneath where the bait fish are schooling.

The remaining whales form a cylinder of sorts around where the fish are schooling. The matriarch starts slowly releasing air bubbles beneath the ball of bait fish causing them to form into a denser pack that forces the column towards the surface. The whales on the outside of the cylinder start tightening the noose. Soon you begin to see the surface of the water start to boil as the panicked bait fish are squeezed tighter and tighter up to the surface. No sooner than you see some panicked fish splashing out of the water, the matriarch and the whales on the periphery broach the surface, their jaws wide open, swallowing thousands of bait fish while thrusting nearly half their body length out of the water.

Obviously, you don't want to be a kayaker in the middle of that buffet line. It was one of the most amazing things I've ever witnessed in nature.

I was in Alaska 25-30 years ago and got to observe first hand a pod of humpback whales doing what the naturalist on our trip called "bubble net fishing." Whales don't usually hunt cooperatively, but during the days before they migrate to the waters between Maui and the Big Island of Hawai'i they need to fatten up. Anyway, a couple of females will swim a mile or so from a central area where fish will be concentrated, while loudly slapping their flukes on the surface of the water. This 'concentrates' the bait fish, scaring them towards the center. The matriarch of the pod goes sounder and dives deep underneath where the bait fish are schooling.

The remaining whales form a cylinder of sorts around where the fish are schooling. The matriarch starts slowly releasing air bubbles beneath the ball of bait fish causing them to form into a denser pack that forces the column towards the surface. The whales on the outside of the cylinder start tightening the noose. Soon you begin to see the surface of the water start to boil as the panicked bait fish are squeezed tighter and tighter up to the surface. No sooner than you see some panicked fish splashing out of the water, the matriarch and the whales on the periphery broach the surface, their jaws wide open, swallowing thousands of bait fish while thrusting nearly half their body length out of the water.

Obviously, you don't want to be a kayaker in the middle of that buffet line. It was one of the most amazing things I've ever witnessed in nature.
Saw bubble feeding off the coast of Provincetown MA about 30 years ago myself, it was FANTASTIC! They didn't do the fluke slapping but they all breached at the same time in a circle. I think they were right fins and were feeding on krill. The boat captain suggested it was because the seas were rough that day that they were cooperating. My poor wife was so seasick that she walked straight into the gangplank getting off and fell over. I was helping her but I kind of expected her to actually lift her foot stepping onto the ramp. She won't go on boats bigger than a canoe anymore.

Sometimes all you see are a few dolphins or the backside of a minke but whale watching can be AWESOME! Dolphins are pretty cool too though.

1687531014498.png

Latest posts

Back