Best News Headlines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1693134060818.png

Not a 'Best' news headline, but I'm hoping someone can help me understand this but first here's why I need help:
I have brain-damage and a limited working-memory span so complex ideas that I used to grok instantly can now take a very long time to make sense to me as I now have to deal with smaller data-sets. One of the consequences of the injury was a loss of income and the ability to make up for that loss, which is the whole reason I'm one this site...ie: I like good beer but can't afford it unless I make it myself. I was hoping in time to make use of the 'cured-meats' part of the forum, and so have been greatly annoyed by what looks to me as a potential future obstacle to the pursiut of....I had a very wide skill set and I remember the fallout after 9/11, even here in Canada, I could no longer buy ferric-chloride to make circuit boards.
The details the news keeps leaving out or just don't seem to care about is this: Was this guy actively marketing a useful and needed product as a suicide solution with nothing to do with the actual curing of meats? Is my LCD government going to crate yet more obstacles for me in my attempts to have afforable ham and bacon?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/kenneth-law-police-update-1.6950350

Not a 'Best' news headline, but I'm hoping someone can help me understand this but first here's why I need help:
I have brain-damage and a limited working-memory span so complex ideas that I used to grok instantly can now take a very long time to make sense to me as I now have to deal with smaller data-sets. One of the consequences of the injury was a loss of income and the ability to make up for that loss, which is the whole reason I'm one this site...ie: I like good beer but can't afford it unless I make it myself. I was hoping in time to make use of the 'cured-meats' part of the forum, and so have been greatly annoyed by what looks to me as a potential future obstacle to the pursiut of....I had a very wide skill set and I remember the fallout after 9/11, even here in Canada, I could no longer buy ferric-chloride to make circuit boards.
The details the news keeps leaving out or just don't seem to care about is this: Was this guy actively marketing a useful and needed product as a suicide solution with nothing to do with the actual curing of meats? Is my LCD government going to crate yet more obstacles for me in my attempts to have afforable ham and bacon?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/kenneth-law-police-update-1.6950350
Not done any real meat curing, but Wikipedia mentions sodium nitrite in curing salts is low under 1% and the rest is made up of normal table salt (sodium chloride). Worst case scenario is that you would only get pre-mixed curing salts instead of being able to mix your own from pure sodium nitrite and sodium chloride. And that is only if someone decides to actively pursue the idea of banning it. There's been lots of discussions on other forums in the past where places like Amazon ended up recommending sodium nitrate after the search profile indicated self-harm risk because their algorithm was dumb enough to link suicide method books and chemical purchases as thing bought together.

Nothing came from that, and likely this will follow the same course once this guy is convicted, if he is actually distributing for self-harm purposes versus his purported "I didn't know they wanted it for anything else than preserving food" defense. They take down the distribution and recommendation channel, but not not the actual chemical.

Ferric chloride was a different matter, besides electronics hobbyists, it wasn't that widely used in the wide population. Sodium nitrite is. But who knows with some governments :eek:

Why isn't "O2CD" listed in the DSM?

Nice thought, but do we really want the DSM folks to be lookin' at any of us home brewers in any way?

We all have to stick together in perpetuating the perception of our "normality" , despite any differences we may have in brewing process, even LoDo.

I also fear being swept up in the take down of LoDo. As a spunder, I worry the DSM effs prolly don't even know to differentiate between hot side and cold side O2 exclusion.

Best to keep the Govt & Pharma/Med/insurance effs out of our lives and breweries.

and yeah I said lives, not hobby. [;

Back