best ferm temp for Safale s-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bacchusmj

Reaction score
I think I remember that this stuff ferments at lower temps. I usually go with 001 in the recipe Im doing but my starter never "started" (I keep that at 67 degrees). Ive got two packs of s-05 (og over 1.070) and Ill proof it up. Its an IPA and I want it to dry itself out. Whats the temp? TIA.

A search on Google or on this site will produce mountains of responses to this very question. Best to keep the forum front page free of such old topics

I'd try to avoid anything higher than 72. A spike in temps during active fermentation can cause off flavors or even fusels if it spikes too high.
I think 63-68 is ideal. That's just my sweet spot.

That strain is very odd to me. It gets estery at cool temperatures, this weird 'peachy' aroma and flavor, and it gets estery at warmer temperatures in a different way.

I've found that this strain has a very narrow temperature range if you want a "clean" flavor- like 66-68 degrees and that's about it. Cooler, and it gets peachy and warmer and it gets fruity. I like it better at 72F than 62F, though- and so I'd go warmer if there were only those two choices.

As a result, I rarely use S05. I've been using BRY-97 for dry, and WLP001 for liquid in "clean" American style beers.

That strain is very odd to me. It gets estery at cool temperatures, this weird 'peachy' aroma and flavor, and it gets estery at warmer temperatures in a different way.

I've found that this strain has a very narrow temperature range if you want a "clean" flavor- like 66-68 degrees and that's about it. Cooler, and it gets peachy and warmer and it gets fruity. I like it better at 72F than 62F, though- and so I'd go warmer if there were only those two choices.

As a result, I rarely use S05. I've been using BRY-97 for dry, and WLP001 for liquid in "clean" American style beers.

i love peachy esters

A search on Google or on this site will produce mountains of responses to this very question. Best to keep the forum front page free of such old topics

I think new responses are always valid, and if someone has a question about experiences and opinions about yeast strains I feel that they are welcome to ask. We are in the Beginner's forum, after all.

I mean, really, we could search any brewing topic and get an answer but the point of a forum is to discuss the topics.

I think new responses are always valid, and if someone has a question about experiences and opinions about yeast strains I feel that they are welcome to ask. We are in the Beginner's forum, after all.

I mean, really, we could search any brewing topic and get an answer but the point of a forum is to discuss the topics.

Yeah and new brewers seem to seek validation..i know i used to and still do with certain topics

I was more an issue of me needing a response in 25 mins or less because I was about to pitch. I knew if I put it in the yeast threads i may not get a response soon enough and with brewing and watching two kids, I didnt have time to search. Thanks guys.

Im gonna go low bc its a citra/cent IPA and if I get peach Im better with that as an off flavor. This will be the first time Ive used 05 in 7 years of brewing and probably 200 batches. Always something new.

What's the BRY strain, does it have a nickname?
I tend to ferment safale s05 at 65-68, though I suspect my freezer with temp controller cycles the temp below the desired temps, so it's hard to know for sure unless you can accurately track the fermentation temp over time.

TD

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

What's the BRY strain, does it have a nickname?
I tend to ferment safale s05 at 65-68, though I suspect my freezer with temp controller cycles the temp below the desired temps, so it's hard to know for sure unless you can accurately track the fermentation temp over time.

TD

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

It's just the Lallemand/Danstar version of west coast ale.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It's just the Lallemand/Danstar version of west coast ale.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yeah, it's BRY-97. I've used it about half a dozen times, and I have nothing bad to say. http://www.danstaryeast.com/products/bry-97-american-west-coast-beer-yeast

I tried a new strain, at least new to me, Omega's West Coast I http://www.omegayeast.com/?portfolio=west-coast-ale and it seems to be very similar to the other "chico" strains in that it's not very flocculant, but I fermented it at about 64 and it's very clean and I like that one so far. I'm using it again tomorrow in "Bob's Hoppy Red", and I'll see if it was a fluke that there are no peachy esters or other esters in the IPA I'm drinking now.

Latest posts

Back