Best Caramel Malt for a RIS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flatspin

Reaction score
I'm thinking about making a RIS soon so that it will have time to age and be ready by Christmas. After doing some reading of recipes here, I have noticed a wide variety of caramel malts used.

For those who have attempted making one of these monsters, what did you use? Did it give the flavor you wanted and if it didn't turn out tasting the way you expected what would you change?

Carastan is a great crystal malt for many styles, especially a RIS

I'm intrigued because that is one malt I have never used. What kind of flavors do you get from carastan?

I use 120 on my RIS. I'm pretty positive I wouldn't be able to tell a difference if I used 60, though. But then again I go light on the crystal and have a lot of chocolate etc dominating.

I'm intrigued because that is one malt I have never used. What kind of flavors do you get from carastan?

i get toffee-like flavors from it, its definitely a really nice crystal malt

special B is my personal fave for RIS

In a big beer, would you notice the difference between Caramel 120 and Special B? Some of the highest rated RIS recipes I've seen have up to a pound of the 'B', but man, that seems like a lot! I guess I'm just nervous about balancing out that much sweetness.

I use a pound of Special B in my RIS. I've played around with using up to a half pound of Crystal 60, 80, or 120 as well, but in my experience Special B dominates those to a point where it's almost a moot point.

I'll echo previous sentiments and say Special B. Adding some crystal 80 (or so) can be good as well, but as phenry said, use enough Special B and it'll be covered up. I've used in stouts anywhere from .5 lb to 1.0 lbs and it really is great.

dcp27 said:
i get toffee-like flavors from it, its definitely a really nice crystal malt

special B is my personal fave for RIS

Me too. I use it in probably 1/4 of my recipes now. It's great for porters, stouts, browns, bitters, ipas, and of course a dead guy clone.

Alright then, it sounds like the consensus is that a pound of special B is just fine. I'll go for it.

Back