Best Brisket to date

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
This is my fourth brisket on the smoker and it turned out awesome. All the others were a bit dried out. This one was tender and juicy. It could be because its thicker than the others but I'll take it. I went high and hot at 350. I put it in while it was warming up at 200. wrapped in tinfoil with no apple juice or anything at 170. Pulled it at 194 and put in a cooler for an hour. It took around 3 1/2 to 4 hours on the smoker plus the hour in the cooler. I think the other two I did low and slow may have had a little more smoke flavor but not enough to offset the 3 1/2 hour cook time which is real nice. This was on a breezy 38 deg day. It will be our go to method in the future.

20161230_163646_resized.jpg

Don't be scared to cooler it even longer, mine regular go for 4-8 hours. PS I usually go 300 temp cause that is what she likes to run.

Don't be scared to cooler it even longer, mine regular go for 4-8 hours. PS I usually go 300 temp cause that is what she likes to run.
It was time to eat so we pulled it out of the cooler. As suggested here if I need more heat I take a metal skewer and put it under the lid. That little bit of opening makes the heat jump big time

Nice looking smoke ring! Great brisket eluded me for quite some time. And I've discovered that the biggest factor is starting with a quality piece of meat. My local Costco sells prime packers for $3.49 a pound. That's cheaper than I can get a choice flat at the supermarket.

It's also necessary to know when the brisket is done. Time and temperature can vary. So try a probe or skewer to see when it's finished. You'll know when the skewer goes in and out of the flat with no resistance, kind of like a hot knife in butter.

I personally smoke brisket at around 230 using only salt and pepper. Good luck on your smoking endeavors!

Nice looking smoke ring! Great brisket eluded me for quite some time. And I've discovered that the biggest factor is starting with a quality piece of meat. My local Costco sells prime packers for $3.49 a pound. That's cheaper than I can get a choice flat at the supermarket.!
I got this from Costco. I cut it in half and this is the second half that was frozen. I think it was $50 or so. Kind of pricey but theres a **** ton of meat.

I don't have any pics of my last one - late September it was -
I planned on sort of a Montreal Smoked Meat sort of thing, so I started with the seasoning,
Montreal Steak Spice, with extra garlic and a ton of extra coriander seed. I let that sit for a couple says before cooking. Tried to keep that around 250 or so, let if go for a couple hours, then wrapped in aluminum foil for a couple more. After that, the temp in my smoker was starting to fluctuate way up and down, so I brought it into the kitchen oven at 250 for a final hour or so. Came out great - a few guests are still talking about it.

very nice. I've cooked literally more than 100 briskest and still it becomes like guess work for me. I've had the flat butter and then have it tighten up like a leather glove in the cambro. One thing that does work regardless of how I cooked it, is to refrigerate it overnight after the cook. Then slice and bring up to heat in a pan with beef broth. Something about that collagen rest overnight and preheat that makes brisket perfect.

salt, pepper and worcestershire powder

anyone else notice that the flats on a packer are skinny thin these days? I've gotten 18lb packers that barely had 3/4" in the flat.

Back