Best Brew to AGE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau815

Reaction score
I am thinking of brewing up something like a 10% RIS or a strong ale. Not really a barley wine guy... im thinking imp stout, who has any tips or recipes on what they had good experience with? Any style... I want to put a good year on it in the bottle. Thanks in advance!

I'm the same way, though. I really love RISs but just can't into barleywines.

Have you guys tried English style barleywines? I've yet to try an American style that I'd actually shell out money for, mostly because they're harshly bittered with little else going on in the flavor department to balance things out (or, that's my take, anyway). English styles offer much more in the way of malt and ester flavors with better overall balance.

I hate to be captain obvious here, but has anyone considered making and aging an...old ale? Consider joining in on the 11/11/11 festivities if so. I think the recipe just got posted in the recipes section a couple of weeks ago. It's untried, but looks very promising.

And yes, Laphroaig and Caol Ila are making some of the best tasting whiskys in the world. Only Highland Park and Glenmorangie are in the same league (ruling out the stupid expensive bottlings, of course).

Back