Berry wine pairing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossC

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a mixed berry wine currently aging. It is made from mostly blackberries and raspberries but also has some strawberry, blackcurrant and redcurrant. It was back sweetened just enough to take the edge off the dryness so it remains quite tart, and it has a lot of berry aroma.

I am looking for ideas for what to eat with this wine, it would be nice to make a bit of an event of it. What does everyone think?

Ross

It depends on how it is- I oak my blackberry wine (and I use 6 pounds or more of blackberries per gallon), and it's light like a pinot noir. My chokecherry/black currant wine is much more tannic and full, and I also oak that, and it's more like a zinfindel. All are bone dry.

I serve my chokecherry/currant wine with red meat and heartier dishes, but my blackberry wine I usually serve with pasta and lighter dishes.

So...............what does it taste like? Light and fruity, big and bold, something in between?

Definitely more on the light and fruity side.

I like the idea of serving it with a lighter dish, I think you're right there! Although maybe with a slightly rich component like a brown butter or a mature cheese? Just something for the wine to contrast the dryness of the wine?

I know for sure it is approximately 14% ABV.

The f.g. is a problem though. I have completely forgotten the readings I took. All I can say which might be a clue is that after it had fermented to full dryness it was back sweetened very slightly. I would describe it as "off-dry".

Off dry... first thought is spicy thai. Slight residual sugar will tame the heat. But avoid anything with a peanut sauce as the sugars may clash. Maybe something like red curried fish or lemongrass chicken. Laab or papaya salad is an option too if you went mor laotians style.

Latin food is another option, but the fats get tricky with balancing flavors. Avoid tomato or tomatillo based sauces as you would be fighting the acids.

Back