Gardening for wines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eh, I’m choosing erect cane ones that done need trellising. But I’ll be putting up a cage around them anyways due to squirrels and birds

Here’s my container garden so far
Left to right: dwarf raspberry Shortcake, dwarf blueberry “perpetua”, fall gold raspberry, grape tomato (just because), temptation strawberry, then in the ground next to them (not pictures) are two blueberry bare roots that are sprouting, a blue crop and jersey.
92E230BF-7D28-446A-8D2B-BAF46642EF45.jpeg

Then here’s the newly arrived dwarf blackberry “baby cakes”. I had to transplant it right away, and I’m hardening it partial shade.
C15F5764-6115-4869-AE59-918F4144042E.jpeg

I just have some Brunswick Strawberries in this year. I've been getting Rhubarb from a friend, and black raspberries grow prolifically near my house so I will try to pick enough of those for a batch later this summer.

I planted honeyberries/haskap this spring for the same thoughts. As well as bee balm, lemon verbena and excess basil for herb wine/mead. Made a really nice lemon lime basil wine a couple years ago.

How many berries did you use per batch? Tasting video says 1lb 12oz, while the fermentation video says 2lb 12oz
Looking forward to trying this...in a couple years.
Maybe reduce the #berries per gallon on the borealis to get a more mild flavor? Mine are all borealis beauty and beast from Jung seed co.6

Oh gosh, that is not me.

Do you mean you only have one variety of haskaps? They need cross-pollination, I think.

I have 2 varieties, I mistyped. Boreal beauty and Boreal beast.
Sorry for the misidentification x2!

For those that have ordered plants before, does fedex ground shipping for a week sound a bit extreme for a live potted okay?

For those that have ordered plants before, does fedex ground shipping for a week sound a bit extreme for a live potted okay?
Week sounds ok typically but given the hot temperatures and questionable planting time I'm a little surprised anyone is shipping now...
Dependent on where you live, of course.
May check shipping window, carrier, and refund policy just in case they arrive in lousy condition. I ordered my honeybMarch. And apple tree in December but they weren't shipped until the average frost free date for my area, end of march.

If a week is usually ok for the plant then I’m a bit less nervous. I’m in southern Maine, according to gurneys website, our shipping season for these plants ends at the end of this month. We’re still in the mid 70s most of the week, we had a couple hot days already but that’s low 80s :p

One of the haskaps I thought I killed last year is still alive! Unfortunately I don't have anything to cross pollinate, if it accidentally flowers.

Well the plant, along with the Anne yellow bare root arrived yesterday, both looking ok. The polar berry plant was a bit pale and starting to yellow, plus had one cane that had a offshoot that grew and stretched while in the dark box. It looks like the pale yellow stalks at the center of a bunch of celery. Both have been put into 2gal pots for the time being, I may try to find to wider bins that are 6-10” deep to plant them in, so the roots can spread and maybe make some more canes instead of hitting sides and forming a ball so quickly.

Just ate my first fall gold raspberry today, very mild and sweet, no sour/tartness Can’t wait till I have enough to make a batch of wine/mead lol.

Haskap/honeyberries were doing so well I took some cuttings from them yesterday. Took four cuttings each from my two varieties, boreal beauty and boreal beast. I want two of each to take and ill transplant them out this fall or spring. Then I'll have 6 honeyberry plants!

Last night I “rescued” a blackberry plant that has been growing between the fence and my neighbors garage for close to a decade.
My new neighbors have redone the whole yard during this COVID thing, including cleaning and graveling around the garage and replacing the post and beam fence with a privacy fence. Some weeds have been growing up on a bit of dirt on my side of the fence, and I noticed that some of them looked very familiar. I looked over to my blackberry and raspberry plants, and realized what it was. It has survived the years of been treated as a weed, the winters, and growing in basically sand and gravel on the west side of a building. It was just mixed in with the weeds and brush, and I’d see a random berry over the years.
I figured it’s hardy enough, I might give it a chance. I dug up two spindly canes with a section of root and put it in a reused gallon pot to grow out. I gave it a trimming to reduce water loss since it no longer has the whole root system. At the least, I’ll bring it up to my friends land when it’s grown, not sure if I want it in the long run since I have several cultivars planned already.

Attachments

• 60160E8C-6A0F-494B-9BC9-A56910ED5ECB.jpeg
    60160E8C-6A0F-494B-9BC9-A56910ED5ECB.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
Back