Bells Two Hearted Fans Good News

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerfly

Reaction score
Coming to you straight from the labs at Bell's Brewery is the same house yeast we use in the vast majority of our ales! Interested in brewing a clone of Two Hearted, Oberon, Hopslam or just any style? Look no further and purchase our Bell's House Yeast today in the General Store or online:
58756860_2642332405780344_4390029168667000832_o.jpg

Hmmm interesting. Ordered some Amarillo and Simcoe. Can’t find any decent lots of either of those hops this year. Hopefully these are better.

Thanks for link, good info.

It's close to $20 for 1 pack shipped to me.

I think I'm gonna try the dregs from a 6-er first. I've done it from Allagash White, but I feel like a lot more bottle yeast is in those.....

Last edited:
Looks like beerandbrewing.com picked up on Bell's yeast and triggered another short discussion over on reddit. There is mention of a second/alternative source. https://old.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing/comments/bn3nkh/bells_yeast_now_available_as_imperial_a62/.

From the Reddit discussion: "Bell's Yeast has been available from The Yeast Bay for several years now. It's their Midwestern Ale yeast. Makes a perfect Oberon when fermented at 69F."

We never disclose the source of our strains, even if granted the permission of the brewery, and I wouldn't confirm or deny where any strain is from. In lieu of branding with a brewery, I prefer cultures to stand on their description alone to avoid the common rationalization that if you use the exact culture of a brewery you'll somehow be able to recreate their character. A lot goes into a beer, and as important as the culture is in defining that character, there is a lot of process-related work upstream and downstream from fermentation that defines the character of a beer, not to mention the regulation of fermentation parameters during the fermentation process itself.

That said, the Midwestern Ale strain is a phenomenal catch-all strain that can be used across a huge number of American beer styles, from IPAs, Pale Ales and Hoppy session beers to Brown Ales, Red Ales, Stouts, Porters and big beefy Barleywines. It's a very versatile strain with an ester profile that is highly dependent upon temperature. We made this available as one of our original offerings in February 2014, and it's been a popular strain since the launch!

Back