Belle Saison post primary ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirkcaldybrewer

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a batch of saison on the go right now. I fermented at 25C (77F) and, as per form, it shot down from 1.050 to 1.005 in 3 days (in the process yielding a very promising saison-esque gravity sample :ban:).

I'm planning to leave it a further 2.5-3 weeks or so before kegging. My question is, should I keep it at 25C during the clean-up stage, or drop it to something more reasonable like 20-ish?

Thanks!

I just did my first saison as well and it chugged through it fast. Down to 1.020 in about a day in a half from 1.069.

I am going to leave it at 76 but somebody else with more experience could convince me otherwise

Hi All,

I have a batch of saison on the go right now. I fermented at 25C (77F) and, as per form, it shot down from 1.050 to 1.005 in 3 days (in the process yielding a very promising saison-esque gravity sample :ban:).

I'm planning to leave it a further 2.5-3 weeks or so before kegging. My question is, should I keep it at 25C during the clean-up stage, or drop it to something more reasonable like 20-ish?

Thanks!

Belle Saison is a pretty temperature tolerant yeast. If you are using heat to keep the temp up, you would be fine to just let it clean up at room temp.

If you are at 1.005, I would not be surprised to see it drop down a few more points. Belle Sasion is a beast like 3711 and will always finish low. On a 1.050 beer I would expect 1.002 or so.

On a 1.050 beer I would expect 1.002 or so.

Heheh! Yes, I read the entire belle saison post (some 60 pages) and the highest FG I saw was 1.006!

I live in miserable, frigid Sweden where the ambient in my brewing room is around 14C. So I'm pumping heat in right now and it's just a case of whether I reduce this. I'm not too worried about the electricity bill, so if there's no disadvantage to staying 'hot' the whole time I'll just leave it be.

I've raised mine to mid 80's F. and had it finish out at 0.997. I've also let one ferment at an ambient temp of 72F. and it ended about where yours is now.

I brewed with Belle saison 5 days ago. Temp in chamber is set at 73F. The yeast took off within seven hours of pitching & today I'm still getting Co2 out of the blow off tube. I have yet to take a reading. Should I be concerned fermentation has stalled, or should I wait a couple more days before taking a reading. I've read Belle can sometimes take up to three weeks to full ferment.

Just put the fermentor in the warmest area in your home and wrap a heating pad or heating blanket around it, and insulate that with a thick blanket or sleeping bag. ~80-85F is good for finishing out, 65F is not.

In all my reading of the belle saison post, no one mentioned stalling. This yeast is a beast and a much more likely problem is stopping it! I'm away from home right now, but will check this weekend if I dropped further than 1.005

So I just checked and the gravity is still dropping. I'm at 1.003, that's at 6 days in (all at 25C/77F). Tasting nice!

Back