Belle Saison Pitch at 90 Degrees? YES!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OahuMike

Reaction score
I live in Hawaii--where it's always hot--and got tired of continually chilling during fermentation. I love the flavor of Belgian beers, so I switched to Belle Saison yeast in an effort to avoid the chill hassle. For about the past 10 batches, I've been pitching anywhere between 90-95 degrees. Room temperature here is around 80-85, so that's where it stays for the rest of the fermentation process. I've had no off-flavors and plenty of compliments. Anyone else out there in the habit of pitching Belgian yeast at high temps and just letting it go?

Yes sir! And if you really want to attenuate the hell out of it but maintain the saison funk, go 50/50 Belle and 3711. Both those strains love the high temps.

I'm brewing a Saison tomorrow with a well-grown culture from a bottle of Dupont, mixed with 3711. I'll pitch it when I see it below 100, let it sit in my southern California garage, and whatever it does, it does. I've earned a few 2nd's and 1st's in competitions with batches that ran in the mid and high 90's.

Belle Saison ferments fairly clean at a temp below 70F. Higher temp is necessary to produce proper saison character, but I would caution getting too hot since that invites fusels.

Belle Saison ferments fairly clean at a temp below 70F. Higher temp is necessary to produce proper saison character, but I would caution getting too hot since that invites fusels.

Are we talking Cal Ale clean, or English strain fruity clean?
Nevermind, just saw the low flocculation.

Last edited:
Back