Belgium Caramel Pils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlkiBrewing

Reaction score
Hoping somebody who knows more about grains than me could offer some advise. I'm looking at an IPA recipe that I want to brew and it calls for Belgium Cara Pils. My LHBS doesn't carry it so I'm wondering if someone could recommend a grain to substitute. Thanks!

Belgian Caramel Pilsner isn't a dextrine malt. If the recipe calls for Briess CaraPils then yes, dextrine malt works.

So this is a caramel malt that doesn't contain dextrins? Is that possible?

Granted, it is darker than dextrine/carapils, but surely it is still a dextrin malt.

OP, the carapils doesn't lend much sweetness, which the belgian caramel pilsner probably does, so you could probably use half carapils and half c10 and be reasonably close.

So this is a caramel malt that doesn't contain dextrins? Is that possible?

Granted, it is darker than dextrine/carapils, but surely it is still a dextrin malt.

Well, sure it'll contain some dextrines, but it's not what one would normally call a dextrine malt. It's not a Belgian version of Breiss CaraPils in other words. It's supposed to provide a bit of body and caramel sweetness, not just the body that Briess Carapils is intended to provide.

Well, sure it'll contain some dextrines, but it's not what one would normally call a dextrine malt. It's not a Belgian version of Breiss CaraPils in other words. It's supposed to provide a bit of body and caramel sweetness, not just the body that Briess Carapils is intended to provide.

Yes, after looking into it, it is supposed to provide both body/head retention and sweetness, whereas the Breiss is really only for the head retention, so I was wrong in my first post.

To the OP, I found that Belgian Caramel Pils also goes by the name of Cara 8, made by the maltster Dingemans.

Hey gang, I too am looking for a substitute for Belgian Caramel Pils/Cara 8 for a few recipes.. it appears that caramel 10L is my best bet? Or should I go 1/2 Briess C10 & 1/2 Carapils?

thanks all

Latest posts

Back