Belgian Tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike COusineau

Reaction score
Looking to make a Clone of the Golden Monkey Belgian Tripel.

13# Belgian - Pilsner
.5# Flaked Barley
.5# Belgian Aromatic
.5# Belgian - Biscuit

Hops

.7oz horizon 60 min
.3oz Strisselspalt 15 min
1# Cane Sugar 15 min
Irish Moss 15 min

YEAST
Yeast 3522 Belgian Ardeness.
Question I have is whether or not I have to ferment at lager temps in the secondary (if I decide to do a secondary at all).

I don't do a secondary for my tripels, but I do a longer than average primary. I have also found that depending on the ABV, it takes longer to carb up if in a bottle, so I would suggest either kegging, plan on waiting a while for these to be ready, or thinking about kicking in some fresh yeast at bottling(I haven't done this yet, but I would think a highly tolerant neutral strain might work)

It might also be worth looking at mash temps closely on this one.

I don't do a secondary for my tripels, but I do a longer than average primary. I have also found that depending on the ABV, it takes longer to carb up if in a bottle, so I would suggest either kegging, plan on waiting a while for these to be ready, or thinking about kicking in some fresh yeast at bottling(I haven't done this yet, but I would think a highly tolerant neutral strain might work)

It might also be worth looking at mash temps closely on this one.
Okay this is good to know about the "lagering temps" I will just keep it in the Primary for about 4 to 5 weeks. I will be kegging for sure. Also looking to mash around 152.

Golden monkey has some really subtle spices as well, I attempted a clone last year with coriander and just a tiny bit of cardamom. Toasting them to release their fragrance ended up giving the spices a savory flavor that ruined the beer. The aroma was reminiscent of ramen noodles. If you decide to use spices, and I think you should, use HALF of whatever you think it needs, and maybe even less than that. I'm a big fan of the real thing and would love to know how to clone it effectively.

Edit: 3522 is a nice choice, I've had good luck fermenting it down in the 50's but it may finish a bit too clean for the style.

Golden monkey has some really subtle spices as well, I attempted a clone last year with coriander and just a tiny bit of cardamom. Toasting them to release their fragrance ended up giving the spices a savory flavor that ruined the beer. The aroma was reminiscent of ramen noodles. If you decide to use spices, and I think you should, use HALF of whatever you think it needs, and maybe even less than that. I'm a big fan of the real thing and would love to know how to clone it effectively.

Edit: 3522 is a nice choice, I've had good luck fermenting it down in the 50's but it may finish a bit too clean for the style.
Im hoping I don't have to ferment down in the 50's because then I wouldn't be able to brew this beer.

I like to mash pretty low as well, Last one I tried a step mash(we'll see how it turns out) but I try to stay in that 146-148 F range for the mash. I also like to ferment these a little higher to get some more of the fruitiness out, I've always started ~70F and let it ride (within bounds, up to around 80ish is the highest I've gone). I've had good luck with the Danstar Abbeye(sp?) yeast. I have not tried the 3522. This tends to be a once a year beer for me due to the high ABV though.

I like to mash pretty low as well, Last one I tried a step mash(we'll see how it turns out) but I try to stay in that 146-148 F range for the mash. I also like to ferment these a little higher to get some more of the fruitiness out, I've always started ~70F and let it ride (within bounds, up to around 80ish is the highest I've gone). I've had good luck with the Danstar Abbeye(sp?) yeast. I have not tried the 3522. This tends to be a once a year beer for me due to the high ABV though.

Glad to hear it does not need to be fermented at a lower temperature.

Im hoping I don't have to ferment down in the 50's because then I wouldn't be able to brew this beer.
Oh hey I wasn't suggesting you ferment that low, just saying that if you want to secondary at a cooler temp, that yeast will still do its job. Personally, I wouldn't bother with a secondary just a nice long primary since 3522 floccs pretty well and will drop clear on its own. I don't use moss in my tripels since it's not really necessary, unless of course you want it really clear, in which case carry on.

Oh hey I wasn't suggesting you ferment that low, just saying that if you want to secondary at a cooler temp, that yeast will still do its job. Personally, I wouldn't bother with a secondary just a nice long primary since 3522 floccs pretty well and will drop clear on its own. I don't use moss in my tripels since it's not really necessary, unless of course you want it really clear, in which case carry on.
Sounds good and Ill just keep it in the primary until I reach my FG.

Thanks again for the tips.

Back