Belgian tripel condition time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trails_n_Ales

Reaction score
Below is a Belgian tripel that i brewed and I'm wondering if I should condition in secondary/keg for longer than the typical 2 weeks? I typically brew fairly sessionable beers and this is my first crack at a higher abv brew. I took a sample when I racked to secondary and it was pretty tasty already. Any insight on extra conditioning time vs. the standard 2 weeks would be appreciated.

Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.065
Final Gravity: 1.006
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.50 gal

Ingredients:
------------
Amount
10lb Belgian Pilsner
1lb White wheat
1.5lb table sugar
1.5oz East Kent Goldings 90
.5oz Hallertau Hersbrucker 90
.5oz East Kent Goldings 5
.5oz Hallertau Hersbrucker 5
WLP500 Trappist Ale Yeast 2L starter
Mash at 150 degrees for 90 minutes.

4/16/17 OG 1.065
5/1/17 Racked to secondary, checked gravity – 1.006

It can age in the bottle just fine- you can bottle it whenever you want. There is nothing magical about having it sit in the carboy, once the beer is clear. It can age in whatever vessel it's in.

Most triples will taste best in about 4-6 months, at least in my experience. They are good right out of the fermenter, but they really meld well and come together with a little bit of aging on them.

Thanks Yooper. I keg all my beer so letting it age under Co2 at 36 degrees F would work just as well? I think the temptation may get to me and may drink it all before the 4-6mo mark. Maybe I'll bottle some and put them aside to see how they do after some aging.

I would age it at 55-70F for at least a couple months. I keg my quick drinking beers and bottle the stuff that ages well. My last tripel was definitely drinkable at 2 weeks, but it started getting good at 2 months and now pushing 5 months is even better yet.

Back