Belgian Threshold Shift

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandyeggoxj

Reaction score
So I have read about the lupulin threshold shift and I would like to submit the Belgian threshold shift theory.

I find Belgian yeast to be very offensive to my palate. At least I used to find it offensive. I have had a few beers brewed with Belgian yeast lately and I find them more enjoyable. My palate is shifting and starting to agree more and more with the Belgian yeast funk. What I used to find to funky is now just right. There are still funky beers that I do not like but at this rate I will be enjoying them within a year or so.

I find it hard to believe that I am alone in this phenomenon.

I went through the same thing. The first time I tried a Belgian (Chimay White, if memory serves) I thought "this ain't beer." I couldn't stand it.

Eleven years later, I love Belgian beers and am even getting into sours.

So yes, I'd say Belgian yeast threshold shift is a thing, at least for some of us.

I'd say I experienced both the lupulin and funk threshold shifts a while back, including a sour threshold shift. I still can't stand anything too heavy on the phenolics though, I think that's why I'm still not a German hefe fan.

What do you mean weirdness? Phenols?

What is Belgian yeast? I would say there's more variety in Belgian yeast than any other.

What do you mean weirdness? Phenols?

What is Belgian yeast? I would say there's more variety in Belgian yeast than any other.

I agree about the diversity of belgian yeast. But asking that question is a lot like asking what is an IPA? Somewhat loaded in nature. What green flash and societe call an IPA is a far cry from Sam Adams version. I think that holds true for belgian yeast as well. You can take similar recipes and use different belgian yeast strains and have wildly different beers.

I guess I don't know how to define "belgian yeast" outside of the obvious origin of Belgium.

I think you're absolutely onto something. I've noticed the shift as well.

I posted a thread about a year ago at https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/confession-about-belgian-beers-407566/.

I went on a Belgian bender and started trying anything I could find. I still don't love them, but I've found I like many of them. I've made peace with them and I don't get the same negative visceral reaction that I used to get.

Today if someone hands me one there's a good chance I'll like it. A year ago I'd have had a hard time choking one down.

You can take similar recipes and use different belgian yeast strains and have wildly different beers.

Agreed, yet to your point you likely need only one blind sip of those beers to know it was a Belgian strain. I'd say they're the least subtle as a group in terms of flavor.

To me "Belgian funk" is a stronger fruitiness that has some spicyness. Its just extremely rich, which is why i think of belgians as the pinnacle of beer. I'm not too great at describing flavors though...

I find it hard to believe that I am alone in this phenomenon.

You are not alone, most of my buddies are huge hop heads but none of them enjoy Belgians. I've been occasionally feeding them Belgian homebrews under 8.5% ABV, it seems that stronger beers have too much funk for their taste. I've also been using WLP 575 with good results. Slowly but surely they are starting to see the light.

You are not alone, most of my buddies are huge hop heads but none of them enjoy Belgians. I've been occasionally feeding them Belgian homebrews under 8.5% ABV, it seems that stronger beers have too much funk for their taste. I've also been using WLP 575 with good results. Slowly but surely they are starting to see the light.

I am a hop head, no doubt. Interestingly it was 575 that I found to be be the major turning point in my view of Belgians.

I'm finding 575 has nice balance without any characters standing out too much, it has become my favorite Belgian yeast, FWIW.

I understand it's a blend of 3 yeasts, I remember reading somewhere on the speculation of what 3 strains. I'll have to try it, I'm kind of a creature of habit with yeast and 3787/530 has sort of been my house Belgian strain.

It is the opposite for me. I use to love Belgian beers, but I cant stand most of them now. Especially Belgian IPAs. Im not sure what changed but if there is a lot of Belgian yeast character in a beer I wont like it. I dont like the spicy/clove flavors at all. I do however love sours and and all the funkiness they offer.

Not for me - I can appreciate a funky beer, sours, etc - but they're definitely not my favorites.

I don't care for wheat beers that much either - I have a few weeks in the summer when I like to drink hefe's, but that's about it.

I've also gone from not being a big fan of belgian funk to loving it. Let's call it the phenol phenomenon!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I use to love Belgian beers, but I cant stand most of them now. Especially Belgian IPAs.

I love Belgian beers. A good Tripel, Dubbel, or a Quad. yummmm

Belgian IPA's do nothing for me. I find the hops and the yeast fight each other. Give me hops or give me Belgian yeast flavor, but not both.

After 40+ years of drinking the world's beers, the Belgian shift hasn't happened for me. I just don't like Belgians, probly never will.

Back