Belgian Strong Ale/Duvel Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewt00l

Reaction score
I am going to be brewing a recipe loosely based off something akin to Duvel. The two yeast strains that I have seen associated with Duvel are Wyeast 1388 and White Labs 570.

Does anyone that has brewed both have a preference for one over the other?

If you can get your hands on the Jan '07 BYO magazine, there's an excellent article on belgian yeast strains & styles they're used for. In this article they seem to use those two strains interchangeably for the "Duvel" strong golden syle.

Even if it doesn't help, it's a great read :D

Cheers! :mug:

I anyone is slightly interested, I went with WPL570 and made my starter last night. When I cracked open the vial, it definitely reminded me of duvel.

Not sure if this is helpful, but I've used 1388 for about 8 batches and 570 once. None of these batches tasted like Duvel (which is probably my favorite commercial beer).

However, I did a batch with Wyeast 1762 (Abbey 2) and two pounds of honey, and it tasted closer to Duvel than any of the above-mentioned batches. I think to get the true Duvel taste (slightly sour and dry), you probably need to use champagne yeast to finish it up.

MarkUsBrew said:
Not sure if this is helpful, but I've used 1388 for about 8 batches and 570 once. None of these batches tasted like Duvel (which is probably my favorite commercial beer).

However, I did a batch with Wyeast 1762 (Abbey 2) and two pounds of honey, and it tasted closer to Duvel than any of the above-mentioned batches. I think to get the true Duvel taste (slightly sour and dry), you probably need to use champagne yeast to finish it up.

Interesting considering almost all Duvel clone recipes I have found spec 1388/570 (though my beer is not a clone as is, however inspired would be a better description). Judging from the smell alone 570 is what I was looking for. Thanks for the feedback.

Latest posts

Back