Belgian Strain for Most Bubblegum Possible

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOriginalDBS

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'd like to make some sort of strong pale Belgian ale for my dad's retirement. He likes Golden Strong Ales, Tripels and Saisons. I am not targeting a particular style, but rather a particular flavor profile. I'd like to use a yeast that will produce lots of bubblegum esters. I have a fermwrap and temp controller, so I can ferment very hot (up to like 110*F I think).

Here are some of the strains I'm thinking of using:

Wyeast 3724 - Belgian Saison
Wyeast 1214 - Belgian Abbey Style Ale
Imperial B56 - Rustic (this is the same strain as Wy PC-3726)

Of these, which will yield the most bubblegum flavor? Please, nobody suggest Wyeast 3522 Ardennes. I've used that yeast three times now and I strongly dislike it--it does have bubblegum, but also an odd pepperiness that is weird to me.

Ideally, I'd like to blend any of the above strains with WLP644, which I believe tops out at 80*F. Please bear that in mind.

Thanks!

Belgian Wheat from Wyeast is supposed to give of some bubblegum, I have never used it though. I have gotten some light bubble gum from WY 3464 (Forbidden Fruit) in a couple Wit's that I have done, but it faded after a month or so.

Also, WLP644 while "rated" to top out at 80 can handle well beyond that, read through this thread if you want some info on this strain and others experiences with it. Some have pushed it into the 90's and like what it does in that range.

In my experience, Wyeast's Trappist High Gravity ale yeast gives off very notable amounts of bubblegum so that's the yeast I'd recommend. Wyeast 3787

Latest posts

Back