Belgian Pale with american hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marchio-93

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am planning a Belgian pale ale with an American (light) hopping.
For the grains I thought of pilsner + caramunich III.
For hopping, I thought of Motueka and Nelson Sauvin, what do you think? Which American hops are most suitable for this style? Have you ever tried?

Pls don't kill me

I think Motueka would work very well - it was in fact at one time called Belgian-Saaz. I think Nelson can make just about anything great. But, those are both Kiwi hops ;).

I have a single on tap that used Mt. Hood and Sterling, both technically American, but probably not what you meant. I wouldn't be afraid to brew a Belgian pale with Crystal, Cascade, or Centennial. Amarillo would probably also be good. If you want Citra/Mosaic, I'm not the guy to answer that - I think they're too onion-y.

Just bottled one earlier this week that I brewed with cascade. Won't have a real verdict until its conditioned a bit, but it was very promising at that stage.

I make Belgian Pales with American hops that turn out very nicely. The first one was a lark using Wyeast 3522 Ardennes in MoreBeer’s Cali Mountain Sierra Nevada clone kit. That uses Magnum 60/Perle 30/Cascade 10 min & dry. My latest used 10% Vienna, 10% Crystal 40 with Columbus and Amarillo hops, and Wyeast 1762 Abbey II. I’m going to rerun that one with 3522 to compare.

My favorite reference beer for this Hybrid style Is Raging *****.

Back