Belgian Pale Ale Belgian Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just kegged it today, OG 1.051 and FG 1.011, a bit higher than I thought but still a nice range to be in. Brewed with BE-256, so probably won't get the same notes as the OP's recipe. Smells a bit like a Hefe with a soft banana coming through, but probably to early to tell.

Looking forward to trying it after conditioning for 2 weeks @ room temperature.

what color/SRM did you get?

Didn't get a look at it in a glass, but judging from inside the bucket and the hydrometer tube i'd say that it'll be a nice golden color, probably lighter than op's pic. Beersmith estimates it at 14.2 EBC.

I used a few substitute malts, for example melanoidin for aromatic and carared for caravienne.

Edit - I'll report back in about 2 weeks with a pic. :D

As promised, here's how she looks:

Sp1MSrV.jpg

Color's a bit lighter. I also didn't adjust the aa% in my recipe to match my hops, so IBUs are lower than intended.

Regarding aroma, I'm getting a good nose of malts, but not much else, especially not the slightly fruity/spicy notes that I attribute to belgians pales. Safbrew Abbaye seems to have given me a pretty clean finish. It's not a bad beer, just not how I imagined it. Next time I'll stick with a style appropriate yeast. :)

As promised, here's how she looks:

Sp1MSrV.jpg

Color's a bit lighter. I also didn't adjust the aa% in my recipe to match my hops, so IBUs are lower than intended.

Regarding aroma, I'm getting a good nose of malts, but not much else, especially not the slightly fruity/spicy notes that I attribute to belgians pales. Safbrew Abbaye seems to have given me a pretty clean finish. It's not a bad beer, just not how I imagined it. Next time I'll stick with a style appropriate yeast. :)

I'm a fan of either 500 or 530 for this recipe I've tried the 515 a couple times and I can't get that yeast to do anything special.

I also found swapping out the Caravienne for Cara Munich got the color much closer.

Back