Belgian Pale Ale Belgian Pale Ale (Gold Medal in Category 24, Michigan Beer Cup 2019)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jswillbrewforbeer

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP500
Yeast Starter
Yes
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
2L Stir Plate
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 weeks, 70F straight through, (beer temp not ambient)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 weeks, room temp first week, 45F second week
Tasting Notes
Toasty, carmelly malt in aroma and flavor with light floral/earthy hops. Medium ester/phenol fermentation character reminiscent of cherry, apple, raspberry, Juicy Juice, light clove. These are my tasting notes, judges actually said spiciness was dominant with low esters.
Ca 71.5, Mg 11, Na 11, Cl 60, SO4 60, HCO 73

Use Gypsum, CaCl and Lactic Acid for water adjustment

95% Viking Pilsner Malt, (1.7-2L)
5% Dingemans Special B, (140-155L)

153F - 60 Minutes
170F - 10 Minutes

Magnum @ 90 (adjust this addition as needed for 20 IBU total.)
.44 gms/gal Wyeast nutrient, rehydrated @ 10
2.85 gms/gal Styrian Goldings @ 10

Chill to 70F, pure O2 for 60 seconds, pitch slurry from yeast starter. Fermented in kegerator with Fermwrap over fermenter. Kegerator and Fermwrap were both plugged into a temperature controller with the probe inserted into a thermowell which was inserted into fermenter. Temperature controller was set to 70F, (controller is accurate within +/- 1F so realistically beer fermented at 69-71F.) Kegged, force carbonated, (targeting medium-high carbonation.) I was quite pleased with this beer, nice medium body despite great attenuation. It won 1st place at MBC as stated in the title with a score of 38.5/50. The only complaint from the judges was that the esters were too low for style with spiciness dominating. This surprised me since I though it was almost too fruity with very minor spice. Oh well, working on improving my palate. Enjoy.

BelgianPale.jpg

Good looking beer. Congrats. I love base malt plus special b (and nothing else). Can increase the special b percentage to arrive at all sorts of flavor profiles.
Cheers!

PS - which yeast did u use?

Back