Belgian Dubbel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quaboagbrewing

Reaction score
Brewing the below recipe from Jasper Homebrewing in Nashua, NH. Questioning the hop additions. 1oz Magnum at 60 minutes seems like it will be too bitter for a Dubbel. They claim IBU's are 20 but my calculations come out to like 47. Should I tone down the bittering hops on this one or just go with the recipe as is?

5 Gallon Batch
BJCP Style: 18B. Belgian Dubbel
Original Specific Gravity: 1.066 - 1.070
Final Specific Gravity: 1.012 - 1.016
Alcohol by Volume: 7.1%
Color: 12 (Reddish-Amber & Double Your Pleasure!)
International Bittering Units: 20

Ingredients:
Fermentables:
7.9 lbs Light Malt Extract Syrup
1 lbs Amber Belgian Candi Sugar
Grains & Wort Additives:
4 oz Caramunich Malt (Crushed)
4 oz Special B Malt (Crushed)
1 Whirlfloc Tablet or 1 tsp. Irish Moss (Clarifier, 20 Minutes)

Hops:
1 oz Magnum Hops (Bittering, 60 Minutes)
½ oz Saaz Hops (Bittering, 60 Minutes)
½ oz Saaz Hops (Aroma, 1 Minute)

Yeast:
Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey

You should use as much as will give you 20 ish ibus, that is what is important. Use a calculator. Hops vary in Alpha acids from harvest to harvest, it may be an old recipe they didnt update with a new crop.

It also could be that the recipe is expecting you to do a partial boil instead of boiling the full volume. If you do a concentrated boil, you won't get as much bitterness.

Good point. Funny been while since I have done an extract batch that forgot that these recipes are written for a partial boil. This particular recipe actually only called for a 1.5 gallon boil. I'm going to do a full boil on this so I'm dropping the Magnum down to about .4oz at 60 which should put me around 23 IBU which should be more inline with the style.

Back