Belgian Dubbel Temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindInTheClouds

Reaction score
I’m relatively new to homebrewing, but have successfully done a few extract kits, and am about to attempt my first Belgian Dubbel.

I have my kit ready to go, and will be using Wyeast 1214. The plan is to ferment in primary for at least two weeks, and then move to secondary for at least a month, but my big question is temperatures.

It sounds like the way to go is to pitch at 68 degrees and allow it to rise to the mid to high 70s. I don’t really have any temperature control equipment, but I do have three rooms in different parts of the house. One ranges 64-66, another around 70-72, and a third around 77-80 (all can be dark).

Where do you think I should ferment to get the best results? Where should I leave the secondary? Or am I overthinking it, and the yeast will do all the work no matter the ambient air temperature?

Anything between 68 and 75 will do. Fermenting at the lower end of this it won't add a lot to the beer, fermenting around 75 ... you might as well eat a banana.
70-72 seems like your best bet. You can let the temperature rise towards the end of the fermentation for some of those estery flavors but I wouldn't go above 75.

Thank you very much!

Anything between 68 and 75 will do. Fermenting at the lower end of this it won't add a lot to the beer, fermenting around 75 ... you might as well eat a banana.
70-72 seems like your best bet. You can let the temperature rise towards the end of the fermentation for some of those estery flavors but I wouldn't go above 75.

Back