Belgian Dubbel questions about grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neverfadeaway86

Reaction score
I am a Partial Mash brewer, I was looking to make up a recipe for something close to a Belgian Dubbel. I went to the Home brew store and has this as my recipe

Grains

3 Lb Belgian Pale
1 Lb flaked oat
1 Lb Belgian Cara 45
.5 Lb Belgian Aromatic
3.3 Lb LME munich
1 lb Belgian Candi Sugar

My local shop didn't have any Belgian pale malt so I substituted 2 Row in its place as it was the only pale malt the had on hand.

I was hoping that this substitution shouldn't make to much of a difference ? any thoughts on how this might change the outcome ?

I also used Styrian Golding hops 1 oz, half oz at 60 min and half oz at 40 min

added half Oz of Coriander at 5 min, 2 g grains of paradise at 5 min and 1 oz sweet orange peel at 5 mine

used Wyeast 3787 trappist high gravity yeast

You'll be fine between Belgian and any other pale (the Belgian pale I use is kilned a bit darker than UK pale). Most dubbels are just Pilsner malt and dark candi sugar syrup (with maybe a bit of something thrown in). With just a pound of sugar and 1.5lb of Cara and Aromatic you'll end up with a beer that is heavier than your usual dubbel.

Ya when I was making the recipe I figured it wouldn't be 100 % to style which is why I added the spices to kinda make it my own, I just used the guidelines for ABV,Color and bitterness while trying to maintain some of the values of a dubbel as well

If you LHBS has Special B malt, I would add a couple oz of that. Gives off a lot of great dark fruit flavors and good color. But I wouldn't really add more than 6 oz for a 5 gal batch

You should end up with a strong Belgian-y beer. (is that dark candi sugar, or white?) No idea if it will taste like a dubbel. :)

[You've already bought the ingredients, so the following comments are for next time] If you're doing partial mash because you don't have a mash kettle or boiler big enough to do all grain, have you thought about doing a smaller batch? (so you don't have to buy expensive LME or DME, or worry about under-pitching your yeast) Belgian dubbels and tripels seem perfect for that because of the added sugar.

For a 3 gallon batch, use something like 5 pounds of pilsner malt, 8 ounces of munich, 1 pound of dark candi syrup, and 8 ounces of table sugar. Half ounce of Northern Brewer or Styrian Golding (etc) at 60 minutes. 3787 yeast. (that might be too much sugar for the style, I don't know. I was trying to match the amount of grain you're using)

Latest posts

Back