Belgian Candi Syrup - Dark at bottling/kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatrockbrewing

Reaction score
Anyone use BCS at bottling for flavor and carbing? I have a Smoked Stout that I think would be great with BCS but trying to decide if Im going to add to ferm or to kegs on bottling day.

did this last night with a french saison. I used clear cany sryup. I was and am wasted, so I dunno how much, but I feel like 2-4 oz were used for the 5 gallon keg. I have NO idea how it's gonna go. I did it because I didn't really add any candy sugars, just malts, and I loved the french flavor, had to get that to pop a little more. also, I don't have a keezer, so, semi natural corbonation helps, as I only put them in the fridge for a night with the guys. now... we play the waiting game..... Oh man. I just brought that keg to the cellar, and theres a mystery keg in there. I don't know when/who brought it over/it was filled. I can only assume it was me, but there is no telling what the beer is. I must wait. This birthday bender sure got me by the balls.

Sounds like a waste of candy syrup to me. It's not cheap and 2-4 oz won't add much to the beer. Use cane sugar and save the syrup for primary fermentation.

Not really. It costs $6 a pound for belgian candy sryup, and I used less than $1 worth. Cane sugar is only 1/3 of the cost, but you only use $0.25 worth. I think the extra few cents is worth it.

There is a law of diminishing returns with everything, and I try to push that limit. it was a drunken decision. But, I have been known to throw in hundred of dollars worth of rare herbs into a 5 gallon batch, so this is WAY less than that. I did it for flavor anyways, and it makes it a more authentic Saison.

Back