Beginner's Luck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 163849

Reaction score
When my wife started making wine I decided I might as well try brewing beer as I do not drink wine. So, I ordered myself a basic brewery kit from William's Brewing, a propane burner and a 40 quart stock pot from Amazon.

After welding extended legs for the sq-14 burner and installing a weldless ball valve in the aluminum stock pot I thought that I was "ready to brew".

That first brew day was delayed by a very unexpected call from my doctor at the VA. To make a long story short I was diagnosed with stage 4a tonsil cancer. This led to chemo, radiation and other unpleasantness. Brewing was out of the question during that time. But I continued to read and accumulate many brewing related items. We also moved to a larger house during that time (with 3 times the yardwork).

A bit over a year had passed by the time the move was completed and I had regained the strength to tackle brewing. Now "cancer free" or more accurately "no evidence of disease". I finally got around to brewing that first batch.

I was all set up for full volume boils, recirculation cooling with immersion chiller and march pump, oxygenation, yeast starter on homemade stir plate, and a fermentation fridge under control of a stc-1000. I am sure that very few people start out so well equipped for their first batch. I do not however recommended the circumstances which led to me being so.

The brown ale kit which came with the equipment I bought from Williams Brewing did not survive the move due to expiration date, convenient trash bin, and lack of additional room on my truck. I ordered a new kit from William's, a Porter. Loosly followed the directions
that came with the kit combined with what I had learned from reading posts at this site. Hydrometer samples tasted very good but this changed after a short time in the bottle, it was a bit disappointing. After three weeks in the fermenter at 64f, three weeks in the bottle at 70f, and a little over two weeks in the fridge the porter is absolutely awesome!

My second batch, also a Williams extract kit, a stout this time is even better. Though it had only been in the fridge 2 days I just tried this one yesterday.

I can only hope that this is not all due to "beginner's luck".

Good deal! Sounds like you're nailing it and in good health, nothing wrong with that.

Yup. I made a few noob mistakes on that first batch myself, but it came out quite good. so much so my wife loved it! So it seems you've gotten the basic down fairly decent. keep on brewing!:mug:

When my wife started making wine I decided I might as well try brewing beer as I do not drink wine. So, I ordered myself a basic brewery kit from William's Brewing, a propane burner and a 40 quart stock pot from Amazon.

After welding extended legs for the sq-14 burner and installing a weldless ball valve in the aluminum stock pot I thought that I was "ready to brew".

That first brew day was delayed by a very unexpected call from my doctor at the VA. To make a long story short I was diagnosed with stage 4a tonsil cancer. This led to chemo, radiation and other unpleasantness. Brewing was out of the question during that time. But I continued to read and accumulate many brewing related items. We also moved to a larger house during that time (with 3 times the yardwork).

A bit over a year had passed by the time the move was completed and I had regained the strength to tackle brewing. Now "cancer free" or more accurately "no evidence of disease". I finally got around to brewing that first batch.

I was all set up for full volume boils, recirculation cooling with immersion chiller and march pump, oxygenation, yeast starter on homemade stir plate, and a fermentation fridge under control of a stc-1000. I am sure that very few people start out so well equipped for their first batch. I do not however recommended the circumstances which led to me being so.

The brown ale kit which came with the equipment I bought from Williams Brewing did not survive the move due to expiration date, convenient trash bin, and lack of additional room on my truck. I ordered a new kit from William's, a Porter. Loosly followed the directions
that came with the kit combined with what I had learned from reading posts at this site. Hydrometer samples tasted very good but this changed after a short time in the bottle, it was a bit disappointing. After three weeks in the fermenter at 64f, three weeks in the bottle at 70f, and a little over two weeks in the fridge the porter is absolutely awesome!

My second batch, also a Williams extract kit, a stout this time is even better. Though it had only been in the fridge 2 days I just tried this one yesterday.

Try to save a few bottles for a while because to my tastes, porters are much better after 3 months in the bottle at room temp and continue to improve with time. Stouts are even more so and deserve to be conditioned even longer. I kept one stout at room temp for 2 years before the last bottle was opened and that last bottle was the best.:mug:

In my experiences, it depends on how much roasted malt is used that governs how much mellowing time a stout or porter needs.

I appreciate the advice to wait. I will try to set aside a bit for long enough to prove you right. But I do tend to prefer to drink it before it's prime over saving it for my wake.lol

Congrats, it sounds like good planning and study lead to a good batch more than luck.

If you like hoppy beers you can use the excuse that they're full of healthy antioxidants, so the hops are an investment in your health!

Best wishes. :mug:

I always have a combination if brews to brew. I will brew 2 that are ready quick and 1 that should age. Or the opposite. Usually those are stouts or porters. I try and bottle those unless it is winter then I keg it and will drink it December, Jan feb and March. In march I will brew something for summer like a Kolsch.

Beginner's luck? Good equipment? Good preparation? A combination of it all?? Who gives a rip!!??

If anyone deserves a break, it is you!

Some things are not to be questioned. Just enjoyed.

Congrats on the successful brews! May you have many more...

:mug:

In my experience, there's no such thing as luck!

Actually my first 4 brews came out perfect. It wasn't until I started getting assured in my brewing ability thar I started running into problems =P Nothing too bad though, and always with a lesson learned.

Absolutely! Familiarity in homebrewing can breed mistakes. I've seen this for myself & thought how foolish it was later.

Back