Beginner SG bottling and keggin questions/confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tapthattap

Reaction score
Hi I'm a very new home brewer and new member of homebrewtalk. I've only made 1 kit so far (SGspagnols Munich), but have loved the beer and have another on the go. My next batch is to start modifying a kit and eventually move on to all grain.

I'm an avid reader and tend to dive into things, I also managed to snag some used equipment to setup a keezer. I know, I know cart before the horse... Anyways, in the near future I plan on using it, but I also plan on bottling to keep on hand potentially long term.

so here begins my confusion.
1a.
So, if I make a batch, and plan on putting 3/4 of it into keg and 1/4 into bottle. Should I prime with enough sugar for bottles, as the keg has more headspace(what/why is that btw)?
b. Or should I make one of those DIY beer guns and bottle from the tap?
c. I like the idea of getting it all done at once, as my understanding is that gunning out of the tap won't keep in bottle?

My kits have been saying bottle under 1.010 never over. as they turn into little wmds What PSI is that in keg terms? I like some higher carb Dutch beers. Should I be getting some plastics bottles then and if so, what SG / PSI can they handle?

Thanks in advance!

Hi I'm a very new home brewer and new member of homebrewtalk. I've only made 1 kit so far (SGspagnols Munich), but have loved the beer and have another on the go. My next batch is to start modifying a kit and eventually move on to all grain.

I'm an avid reader and tend to dive into things, I also managed to snag some used equipment to setup a keezer. I know, I know cart before the horse... Anyways, in the near future I plan on using it, but I also plan on bottling to keep on hand potentially long term.

so here begins my confusion.
1a.
So, if I make a batch, and plan on putting 3/4 of it into keg and 1/4 into bottle. Should I prime with enough sugar for bottles, as the keg has more headspace(what/why is that btw)?
b. Or should I make one of those DIY beer guns and bottle from the tap?
c. I like the idea of getting it all done at once, as my understanding is that gunning out of the tap won't keep in bottle?

My kits have been saying bottle under 1.010 never over. as they turn into little wmds What PSI is that in keg terms? I like some higher carb Dutch beers. Should I be getting some plastics bottles then and if so, what SG / PSI can they handle?

Thanks in advance!

1a. Prime for the full volume in the keg. This will include what you intend to bottle. Headspace is the open space at the top of any closed container containing a liquid. It is good to have when fermenting for sure! This area should be filled with CO2 to displace oxygen in order to prevent staling of the beer. When you first fill your keg and pressurize it, make sure to bleed out the oxygen so it can be replaced by CO2.

1b. I would bottle from the keg (cobra/picnic tap) Look for Biermunchers thread in the stickies. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/

1c. The key to bottling from a tap is keeping CO2 in and oxygen out. See above link.

2. If you carb with CO2 then bottle bombs wont be an issue. I can't speak for natural carbonation over 1.010. Well, I guess I can because I have primed at 1.011. LOL. The key is not OVERpriming. There are useful calculators that determine the safe amount for your beer. http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Back