Began Bubbling *immediately* when coming in contact with the priming sugar.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woozy

Reaction score
The one time I choose to cut corners.

I was adding a teaspoon of dextrose directly to the bottle and the instant I added my brew (I was making cranberry apple cider) it immediately started bubbling and would bubble over. (Like adding baking soda to vinegar, it was that fast.)

So... fermentation wasn't complete? It had been two weeks.

So I have bottle bombs?

I decided to bottle them which ... maybe I shouldn't have. Some them bubbled over and I jammed to lid on. Some off them I just tried to rush before the bubbled over. My seals aren't clean. Some had excessive three inches of foam in head room.

I bottled one bottle with no sugar just to see what will happen.

So .... fermentation not complete? Or some other reason I can not fathom? Bubble bombs? or flat because they bubbled over before I capped?

It's called "nucleation" and dropping a teaspoon of granules into fully fermented beer provides plenty of "nucleation sites" for the dissolved CO2 to use as break-out sites.
Your fermented beer contains CO2. The amount depends on the warmest temperature the beer has "seen" to where you tried to prime it.

To avoid such nuisances, either thoroughly chill the beer prior to bottling and adding your priming sugar...or consider adding your primer - dissolved in a small amount of water - either directly to your primary fermentor, or to a bottling bucket that you then rack the beer into...

Cheers!

Two questions.
1: what did it taste like as a still wine prior to bottling? Sweet, dry? Fizzy?
2: what were og or at least the fg? If no measurements, what yeast and did you add sugar? How much.

My suspicion is that you have co2 from fermentation still in suspension and adding the sugar created nucleation for suspended gas.

You'll get the same foaming if you use salt. The granules make a great nucleation point for the CO2 to come out of solution and your beer always has CO2 dissolved in it. Try mixing the sugar into water first so it is dissolved and I'll bet you won't have the foaming.

Okay.... that's probably it then. Wasn't expecting it.

Um... so okay except for the mess and maybe large head room?

As I said I was cutting corners so I didn't take an FG but OG was 1.04 and it tasted just like my previous two batches; Dry (but slightly fruity). Those had FG of 0.99 so I figure this was similar. Used Windsor yeast and added no sugar. Just a Gallon of Apple juice and a gallon of Cranberry.

I'm sure it was sugleation which I wasn't familiar with.

Latest posts

Back