Beersmith sparge water question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutt98

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have the numbers in front of me right now, and I've already brewed the batch and hit the OG that the recipe called for. However, beersmith's mash instructions said to batch sparge with two sparges, one of something like .67 gallons and the other 3.5 gallons. Beersmith's expected OG was nearly 10 points higher than the recipe expected (1.080 compared to 1.071). In the (admittedly small amount of) research that I conducted before my first all-grain batch, everyone said to batch sparge in equal amounts. Just curious if beersmith has better or simply just different instructions. Thanks again for all the help.

Did you double check your entries? Something seems off...but I can't tell 100% without looking at your figures.

What BeerSmith usually has me do is about 2 gallons to mash out to stop conversion of starches to sugars. Drain that and then sparge with another 3 or so gallons to get to my boil volume. Obviously every batch is different but it is usually around 40/60.

Click the little check mark next to the mash profile on the mash page and you can edit there. There is a box to check for use equal batch sizes, drain mash tun before sparging, etc.
As far as the expected OG, it will calculate whatever efficiency you have entered. So you need to set that to match your system, also make sure your batch size, etc. is set correctly to hit your numbers..

This was my first all grain, so I was figuring efficiency for the first time. I'll double check when I get home, but I'm pretty sure it put me somewhere in the low 60s. I was surprised to see the recipe expected OG to be so low. I'll double check all my settings. I we t ahead and just divided sparge water in half. Recipe did not call for a mash out.

When I say "put me in the low 60s" I mean that my actual efficiency was in low 60s. Beersmith default was low 80s I'm pretty sure. Probably should have been in front of my computer before commenting here:)

Back