Beersmith Question with All Grain Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leemorgan

Reaction score
My recipe is calling for a batch sparge in two parts. It says to use 1.23 and 3.38 of 168 degree water for the batch sparge. Does that mean to use 168 degree water for the sparge or to bring the grain temp up to 168? Im sure this has been answered before but I can't find it.

What it is asking you to do is add 1.23 gallons of 168*F sparge water drain and then add 3.38 gallons of 168*F sparge water to your mash tun. It basically is to bring the temp of your grain up and then rinse it. I don't bother with a split sparge on my brews. I add the entire sparge, in this case 4.61 gallons, to the tun at 172*F. Since we are batch sparging, just add the water and stir the crap out of the mash, let it settle for a few minutes and vorlauf and drain as normal.

I would add 1.23 gal of boiling water to the mash to bring the mash to 170*F mash out. Stir like hell, vorlauf then add 3.38 gal 180-ish*F water to bring the grain bed to 168*F for a batch sparge. Stir like hell, vorlauf and start the boil.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I would add 1.23 gal of boiling water to the mash to bring the mash to ~ 168*F. Vorlauf then add 3.38 gal 170-ish*F water to bring the grain bed to 168*F for the sparge.

Just be careful. With boiling water you may extract tannins giving you a harsh bitter flavor.

Just be careful. With boiling water you may extract tannins giving you a harsh bitter flavor.

Understood ...but it's only 1.23 gal to bring the grain bed to mash out temp.

What it is asking you to do is add 1.23 gallons of 168*F sparge water drain and then add 3.38 gallons of 168*F sparge water to your mash tun. It basically is to bring the temp of your grain up and then rinse it. I don't bother with a split sparge on my brews. I add the entire sparge, in this case 4.61 gallons, to the tun at 172*F. Since we are batch sparging, just add the water and stir the crap out of the mash, let it settle for a few minutes and vorlauf and drain as normal.

I do it like CA_Mouse, just it's it all in stir it real good, I usually let it set fir about ten minutes, virlauf and drain.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Beersmith gives you the 2 additions so you end up getting 1/2 of your wort from the first runnings and the other half from the sparge. Back a few years that was thought to be how to get the best efficiency. Some of the mash profiles include a mashout step and calculate the infusion temperature. You can tweak any of the profiles to meet your needs or create your own. Takes a while to get used to the software, but it is great once you do. Also lots of pointers in "help" as well as videos on the web site.

Back