Beer yeast for dough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yesjenks

Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone ever used beer yeast for bread or pizza dough? How did it come out?

I have made soft pretzels with harvested yest. They came out great. Had to let the dough rise a bit longer than with regular bread yeast.

I've done it several times with good results. Bread, pizza, all came out fine.

I've never tried it, but I know there are a lot of folks who also use spent grain in bread.

I've made beer bread with homebrew before, it always comes out tasting a bit too much like bananas. Ironically making it with commercial stuff tastes better (to my palette).

I have a few packets of dry beer yeast that I might not use now that I'm getting smack packs. I'd ask my wife to throw it in some bread dough if I thought it would be any better than my banana-ish beer bread.

My wife has tried making some spent grain bread a few times now, even adding it to pizza dough. It tastes ok, but for some reason I have trouble with the texture. I recently read that spent grains should be re-dried and ground into a flour. I'd like to try that, but don't have a grain mill of my own.

Used some leftover US-04 for some pizza dough. You'd never know the difference.

I started making dough once and completely spaced the yeast until I had my flour mix going. Ended up chugging some Alpha King and using the dregs. Didnt get a whole lot of proofing from 3 bottles, but it was also in my early stages of making my own dough.

I've done it several times with good results. Bread, pizza, all came out fine.

I've never tried it, but I know there are a lot of folks who also use spent grain in bread.

I hand off my spent grains to friends. They make bread, cookies, dog biscuits, etc. Pretty much anything you could use flour for, they've replaced with flour made from spent grain.

I've made beer bread with homebrew before, it always comes out tasting a bit too much like bananas. Ironically making it with commercial stuff tastes better (to my palette).

I have a few packets of dry beer yeast that I might not use now that I'm getting smack packs. I'd ask my wife to throw it in some bread dough if I thought it would be any better than my banana-ish beer bread.

My wife has tried making some spent grain bread a few times now, even adding it to pizza dough. It tastes ok, but for some reason I have trouble with the texture. I recently read that spent grains should be re-dried and ground into a flour. I'd like to try that, but don't have a grain mill of my own.

You don't need a grain mill to get the dried spent grain to flour, a blender or a coffee grinder both work great. Closer to the original topic, I have made some pretty good bread with beer yeast, you just need to give it more time to proof. It doesn't rise nearly as quickly as with selected bread yeast but it will get there eventually

I wash more yeast after I bottle than I can brew with, so a few jars go towards breads. I bake a lot, so any exta yeast helps. Yeah, just plan on a slow rise.

I've made sourdough with yeast left over from Berliner Weisse. The sacc and lacto are perfect for sourdough.

2011-12-18_at_11_22_18-55250.jpg

Back