Beer Wars Documentary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdlev

Reaction score
Not trying to threadjack another thread, but TomHanx got me interested after referring to this documentary (plus I'm a Sam C. fan).

Turns out hulu has it for free! :mug:

Beer Wars

It makes a few good points (the bit about advertising,) but I think overall it's not so great. Just MHO. A lot of what they talk about is rather moot.

Moot, moot, moot ,moot. Now there's a fun word to say over and over. Moot, moot.

:off:

:)

-

2ij3kmg.jpg

I'm watching it right now. Something I hadn't considered was the 'billboard' effect sam was referring to. It makes perfect sense though, and was an ingenious move by the big box companies. I mean really, why do you need a bud light 6 pack of cans, next to a six pack of bottles, next to a 12 pack of cans, next to a 12 pack of bottles, next to an 18 of each, singles, etc etc etc.

In my harris teeter, you have 2 beer rows. Craft brew & Imports, and the other row is dedicated solely to the big 3 + yuengling. There's probably 100 types of beers in the other row, and 4 in the big 3's row.

Ever seen the episodes on Sam C on brewmasters?

yeah wish that would have come out on DVD or something. i can find clips of it on the internet but not whole episodes. may have to check out a torrent site.

about the documentary its ok but very misleading. one of the biggest misrepresenations is she exactly states and i had posted it to HBT before was she says exactly that Bud forces people to buy there drinks.

and the 3 tier distribution system part is incomplete. there are various laws depending on the state you live in that allow people to self distribute. you dont HAVE to use a distributor. as they point out many of the distribution companies are either in InBevs pockets or outright owned by them.
Actually the only states that don't have provisions for self distribution are:

Alabama, Delaware, Florida, Geor, Kan, Ky, LA, Mich, Miss., MS, Maryland, Neb, NV, ND, SD, SC.

Any other state allows varying degress of self distribution so you don't have dont get shut out of the market by InBev. Your only limitation is really yourself when it comes to setting up a brewery....
and having thousands and thousands of dollars. and the real know how to start and run one.

Actually the only states that don't have provisions for self distribution are:

Alabama, Delaware, Florida, Geor, Kan, Ky, LA, Mich, Miss., MS, Maryland, Neb, NV, ND, SD, SC.

Well, yeah, you can self distribute, but smaller breweries would be severely limited by that. Philadelphia Brewing Company self distributes, but you're going not going to find them very far outside of Philadelphia due to that; they just don't have the resources to make a larger distribution feasible. If a given small brewery wants to make a larger distribution and if the majority of distributors are in the pockets of or owned by the large brewers, then it puts the smaller brewer at a severe, artificial, handicap.

PBC is trying to use self distribution as a selling point, but I think they're going to hit a wall sooner or later.

about the documentary its ok but very misleading. one of the biggest misrepresenations is she exactly states and i had posted it to HBT before was she says exactly that Bud forces people to buy there drinks.

You said by marketing. She says by squeezing out the competition via distributorship. Two totally different things. Her point was more true, and your's out of context.

You said by marketing. She says by squeezing out the competition via distributorship. Two totally different things. Her point was more true, and your's out of context.

her point was untrue. Do you know what the definition of force is? Budweiser does not force consumers to buy it's product.

and i dont think it was out of context, when she implies they do in the video its a combonation of marketing and restricting the competition.

I watched beer Wars a few months ago, Im jealous of the small brew stand rig Sam had going at dogfish... I gotta get me one of those... :)

her point was untrue. Do you know what the definition of force is? Budweiser does not force consumers to buy it's product.

and i dont think it was out of context, when she implies they do in the video its a combonation of marketing and restricting the competition.

I do know what force is. When you limit the 'combonation' that is ALLOWED to be distributed, you are essentially forcing people to only have your selection available. Her wording may need work, and the video overall could have been A LOT better, but it does shed light on a very REAL issue. Do you know what out of context is? Because you were. And her point was not entirely untrue.

And I don't get a 3 day weekend here. I have to wait to get back to enjoy in our national holidays. But do enjoy yours, and be safe. There are a bunch of crazies out there this weekend with firecrackers.

Whatshername may have been using a little hyperbole when she used the word "force", but her point remains the same.

I thought it was interesting. I didn't really care for the film maker, but I think it was beneficial to see the "not so fun" side of being a micro-brewer. For example, when Sam says something along the lines of not being able to sleep sometimes because if his business fails he is broke and lots of people lose their jobs.

I just saw this thread and watched the movie. It seems that this is not just relavant to the brew industry but to America itself. It appears to me that our country is controlled more and more by big money and less and less by us. But I try to not let it get me down and keep plugging away and chugging away. One day things will change or people will get fed up and we will have our "American Spring".

Maybe we should dump an Anheuser Busch truck into the Boston harbor. :)

Happy July 4th everyone!

Latest posts

Back