Beer snobs SUCK!!! (rant)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like good things. Good beer, good wine, good coffee, and good cars. If people want to rail on me for that, it's their own insecurity bubbling to the surface. I'm never confrontational about my personal choices. Indeed, I feel sorry for people that prefer BMC over better beers -- I don't loath them.

With that in mind...

Last edited by a moderator:
when the best there there is, "S.A.B.L.", i drink it like it is the best beer evar!

not that it is **** beer, nah, actually it's decent beer. it's just not even close to a quafable beer like SNPA, which is just good beer, not excellent mind you, but good, but the masses do not know any better!

try to hand me a qweers, or a bud?
wtf???????

gimme a coke, or pepsi.
no, really. i wont touch that ****.
a snob i might be, but a pepsi that tastes good, is a hellova lot cheaper than a queerz that tastes like ****.

im out.

I really do like a lot of unknowns because they come out with something unique that excites that palate. I cannot drink the same beer all the time. I get tired of it, no matter how good it is. Further I won't buy a beer at a store unless it's truly exceptional. I have plenty of experimental brews that turned out mediocre at home, don't have to buy that...
The exception of course being at a bar or restaurant and wanting a beer. Then I'll have whatever.

It is impossible to roast 40,000 lbs, package it, and get it to outlets in less than one month. The usual turnaround is three months. Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts will serve their coffee in their shops as old as four months and sell it retail up to 13 months.

My issue with Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts is not so much the time that the coffee sits, but the roast itself. Starbucks especially roasts their beans so bloody dark that the predominate taste is bitter, burnt, acrid and unpleasant. Of course as soon as I finish typing this, I'm off to 'that place' to get my wife her grande peppermint non-fat mocha because she likes them. :rolleyes:

Me- I'll take my French Press and home-roasted Ethiopian Harrar.

As I mentioned earlier, I refuse to judge anyone based on their choice of beer; life too short for such trivialities. I occasionally check out the reviews on Beer Advocate if a beer's flavor profile has me at a loss for a certain descriptor. A reviewer may have articulated it clearly and helped me identify just what it was that I was tasting. That said, there's an awful lot of d!ck-swinging among 'beer people' that I just can't abide.

Some more commments,
Jason

I really do like a lot of unknowns because they come out with something unique that excites that palate. I cannot drink the same beer all the time. I get tired of it, no matter how good it is. Further I won't buy a beer at a store unless it's truly exceptional. I have plenty of experimental brews that turned out mediocre at home, don't have to buy that...
The exception of course being at a bar or restaurant and wanting a beer. Then I'll have whatever.

I agree completely my hometown friend.

I always give my friends a hard time when they drink BMC but I am drinking it right there with them. I just down them a bit faster. In college all I drank was Busch Light, Bud Light, and Coors Light, I really enjoyed them. I still do on occasion.

All in all, a great bartender once told me, "You drink what you like, you like IPA's, have one, you like Light beer, have one, only you are the judge." There is a lot of truth in that right there. A beer may win all kinds of competition but your palate is not the same as the tasters, we all have different tastes just accept it and don't complain.

agreed. whether you're drinking nothing but Bud Lite or nothing but Snobby Brewery Eisbock, you're still not really branching out that much. i rarely buy the same beer twice, and if i do, it's for the intention of cellaring some bottles and popping them down the road when my palate has forgotten all about em. it's why i don't plan to ever brew the same beer twice, unless i'm doing a competition or something along those lines

Ahhh, the good old days.

So, here's a cheap ass beer story for you:

The year is 1987. I was a young, 18 yr old private stationed at DLI on the Presidio of Monterey. Friday night, it's time for a beer run so we pooled our cash. Well, none of us had a car, but one of the guys had a motorcycle, so I hopped (har!) on back and we headed to Safeway. We have enough money for 5 suitcases of Bud, which we promptly bought. We got out to the parking lot and realized that 5 24pks of Bud may not have been the wisest choice. Being young, highly motivated soldiers, we were determined to overcome the minor obstacle of 2 people, a bike, and 5 cases of beer. We bungied one on the back fender, then my buddy stacked two on my lap, and I had one in each hand, and used my knees to balance the stack. After getting me situated, he carefully climbed on in front of and got the bike off the kick stand. At this point, we were starting to draw a crowd........many people were laughing and pointing. I should point out, this was not a dresser or big cruiser, and the bike struggled two-up, before adding 5 cases of beer.

I'm sure by now you can guess what happens..........just as we turn into the main gate of DLI, a catastrophic weight shift occured during the apex of the turn..........thus causing us to lay the bike down. I swear, all 5 of those cases burst........beer cans were everywhere. It looked like a brewery truck rolled over. We get the bike off to the side, but our beer is everywhere. Traffic is flowing at a typical california rate, and we're watching with dismay as many of our cans of beer are being ran over. My buddy runs into the intersection, and stands at parade rest with his right hand extended straight in front of him, like some kind of traffic cop. Traffic comes to a halt, so I'm in this intersection grabbin' beers as fast as I can.......like some kind of mad easter egg hunt. I'm stuffin' 'em in the remnants of the cases, my pockets, down my pants, in my shirt.......you name it. I think we recovered about 2 1/2 cases of that beer before we heard sirens, that being the signal to take what we had and get. You should have seen the looks on peoples faces when we got back to the barracks, and out came this pile of smashed, dented, leaking, and well shaken stash of bud.

We thouroughly enjoyed that brew.....especially looking out the 2nd floor dayroom windows and watching a bunch of MP cars cruising the bike parking lot and shining spot lights on all the bikes.......while my buddy's was safely stowed under a blanket in the stairwell.

That Safeway must have been in Pacific Grove. No way you tried to climb that hill from Monterey. I spent a year there myself. Charlie Co./98G-RU.
I was there in 91-92 and a nice British couple opened the London Bridge Pub underneath Tony Roma's in Monterey. The "Round the World" competition they had exposed me to the beer I love today.
There was also the infamous "Rose & Crown".
I miss Monterey and the "Defense Love Institute"

To be honest, you're probably a "beer snob" in relation to most guys outside. The Irony here is that most people dont like to be talked down on, but do the same themselves in relation to most macro-lagers.

I've seen this happen in this forum countless times and it and its just as wrong. Its objectifying taste.

I like good things. Good beer, good wine, good coffee, and good cars. If people want to rail on me for that, it's their own insecurity bubbling to the surface. I'm never confrontational about my personal choices. Indeed, I feel sorry for people that prefer BMC over better beers -- I don't loath them.

With that in mind...

YouTube - south park smug farts

Like this guy.

That Safeway must have been in Pacific Grove. No way you tried to climb that hill from Monterey. I spent a year there myself. Charlie Co./98G-RU.
I was there in 91-92 and a nice British couple opened the London Bridge Pub underneath Tony Roma's in Monterey. The "Round the World" competition they had exposed me to the beer I love today.
There was also the infamous "Rose & Crown".
I miss Monterey and the "Defense Love Institute"

Dude!!! We had to have known each other! I was there the first time in '87 for Czech as a young private, went to Ft Drum, then came back as a SGT as a reclass to RU after the wall came down. I was in C co as a 98G RU from '91 to '92 as well!

Dude!!! We had to have known each other! I was there the first time in '87 for Czech as a young private, went to Ft Drum, then came back as a SGT as a reclass to RU after the wall came down. I was in C co as a 98G RU from '91 to '92 as well!

I think you were in my class. COuldnt have been more than one Czech retread from Drum in the Turbo Russian 0191 class, could there?

I see the same feeling to this discussion about beer and coffee that I saw through the election last year (and politics in general) and in so many other facets of life here in the USA. Partisanship to the exclusion of being able to accept another belief or stand.

Does anyone else think that the internet is a large factor in this culture of partisan aggressiveness? You learn the words and ways of a particular subculture of belief and google search your facts and figures to support a safe nest from which to attack anyone with opposing beliefs.

More and more information is published from experts, both acclaimed and self proclaimed, which is quoted, misquoted and reposted in a thousand different facets of the information underground.

I enjoyed the quote in one of the sig's in this thread: The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic. - John F. Kennedy

Everyone these days has an outlet to present opinions and deem them self an expert, acquiring audiences both for being very right and for being wrong (or extremely off key!)

Could it be that underneath it all is a desire to belong, to be understood, appreciated, even loved for sharing the opinion of some group that has expert facts and figures that can be defended against all the horrible heathens that do not believe?

Bring back the neighborhood pub (and the neighborhood) by sharing whatever beer (or coffee) is to be had and enjoying the life shared together even more.

OK... too much coffee this morning... [dragging his own soapbox of expert opinion that he made everyone listen to back into the corner]

I think you were in my class. COuldnt have been more than one Czech retread from Drum in the Turbo Russian 0191 class, could there?

Well, they retreaded all of us in one way or another. Myself and about 3 other's from Drum got RU, a couple got Farci or Arabic, a couple went to group because they still needed CZ's.

Let's see........I was in the oldest living E5 in the Army's squad, that Paul dude w/ the primer grey 60's VW van. I was also in the same section as that crazy ass nutjub squid from the Seals (Greg???? or Craig???) who drove the '41 mash ambulance and lived on the sailboat.

Yeah, Paul. He was actually a 1LT in Nam. Fought on Hamburger Hill. Joined the Reserves years later and was indeed the oldest living E5. The Seal took the gov money to haul his sailboat across America and then sailed the damn thing the the Panama Canal. Pocketed about $7,000.

I see the same feeling to this discussion about beer and coffee that I saw through the election last year (and politics in general) and in so many other facets of life here in the USA. Partisanship to the exclusion of being able to accept another belief or stand.

Does anyone else think that the internet is a large factor in this culture of partisan aggressiveness? You learn the words and ways of a particular subculture of belief and google search your facts and figures to support a safe nest from which to attack anyone with opposing beliefs.

More and more information is published from experts, both acclaimed and self proclaimed, which is quoted, misquoted and reposted in a thousand different facets of the information underground.

I enjoyed the quote in one of the sig's in this thread: The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic. - John F. Kennedy

Everyone these days has an outlet to present opinions and deem them self an expert, acquiring audiences both for being very right and for being wrong (or extremely off key!)

Could it be that underneath it all is a desire to belong, to be understood, appreciated, even loved for sharing the opinion of some group that has expert facts and figures that can be defended against all the horrible heathens that do not believe?

Bring back the neighborhood pub (and the neighborhood) by sharing whatever beer (or coffee) is to be had and enjoying the life shared together even more.

OK... too much coffee this morning... [dragging his own soapbox of expert opinion that he made everyone listen to back into the corner]

You're kinda doing the same thing you're deriding, no? Projection -- its a *****...

While I remain highly opinionated about just about any commercial beer, I choose not to judge anyone with different tastes in beer than mine. I will call a spade a spade though. If it sucks then I'm not going to massage anybodies feelings about it :D.

Will I drink a beer if offered to me? Sure. Will I purchase swill or say it stacks up to such-and-such? No.

Yeah, Paul. He was actually a 1LT in Nam. Fought on Hamburger Hill. Joined the Reserves years later and was indeed the oldest living E5. The Seal took the gov money to haul his sailboat across America and then sailed the damn thing the the Panama Canal. Pocketed about $7,000.

Yep, those are the ones! Speaking of great beer stories....you remember the great boat fiasco at that instructor's house? He made the mistake of letting one of the students house sit for him while him and his wife were on vacation.

You remember how Greg the Seal had his dinghy stolen? He was living on that boat anchored in the bay, and he'd row a dinghy into the CG dock to come to class.....and somebody stole it. So he was swimming back and forth to his sailboat. Meanwhile, he was building his own rowboat and using (he assumed) one of those empty garages on the presidio.

Anyway, the instructor and his wife left, so Greg immediately conned the dude watching the place into letting him build the boat in his garage, as the MP's had informed him the empty garage on post.......wasn't and he had to vacate.

So Greg moves into the intructors garage with like 20 gallons of fiberglass resin and this partially built boat. Meanwhile, we have a big ass party in the house, got licqoured up, and started making tiedye t-shirts. Naturally, the instructor and his wife come home early....and there's a 1940's MASH ambulance in their driveway, a homemade boat in their garage, fiberglass resin everywhere, and the house is full of drunk soldiers, empty beer cans and overflowing ashtrays. Tiedye shirts hanging all over the place, and the washingmachine is plugged up and tiedye water is everywhere.

It was epic.

Then there was the time Paul and I rebuilt this old outboard, fabricated a mounting bracket for this little walmart inflatable raft, and took it out in Monterey Bay to fish. Paul snagged the side with a hook and it started losing air, and then we got caught in the tide off Lover's Point. Sombody called the coastguard, and they come out in this rescue boat........Pauls pumping away on this cheap plastic airpump that came with the raft......I've got the cover off the engine trying to get it going because a wave swamped it......and between us is a big ass icechest full of Heineken. The CG dudes were shaking their heads. We made it back under our own power though.......got to shore on that little beach next to the rocks and cliff with the swimming pool.

Then there was the time we rolled Pauls VW van...........and the time a bunch of us went on sick call and went to the Grateful Dead concert.......

Oh man, you've opened up a flood of old memories!

Now that I think about it.......weren't you the one that got flashed by that chick during PT along the beach one morning?

8 o clock's 100% colombian just beat out starbucks and dunkin doughnuts on a recent taste test.

Didn't any of you go to a party and get completly trashed on the cheapest worst tasting stuff on the planet? If you didn't then you suck. These beers have a home in my heart that is very dear. I cannot tell you how many cans of Keystone Light I drank in college and to be honest it was some of the best times of my life. Imagine if I beer-snobbed it up and said " I won't touch that swill!!" I'd be sitting at home complaining how I am the only one with taste. (and not getting laid that night on top of it)

I started drinking when I was 22. First beer I ever got drunk on was Thirsty Dog, a micro out of Akron, OH. I was a "beer snob" before I ever started. Never had that time in college. I'm making up for it now, though.

BTW, Sam's Cranberry Lambic is great as an injection liquid for turkeys, deep fried or, better yet, smoked. Mix it with equal portion of garlic flavored oil and a little cayenne.

Im gonna have to go ahead and agree with you on this one. BMC beers have their place in the beer market, and there is a reason that they are seperated from the more 'commercially private' brews. I will still enjoy a Sam Adams if its available (and not ***** about it) Lots of these 'sell out' beers that you speak of are what help develop my virgin beer palate and give me direction on what to brew next.
Besides some of these 'top shelf' brews havent really struck me as all that. (Dare I say) That I recently tried a Chimay Blue, and it was a good beer - but not worth the price that I paid for it. (Still very tasty)
-Me

I just moved from Boston to Anchorage, AK. My wife and i miss Dunkin Doughnuts more than family. When we flew in it was the first thing we got. I was so excited to see that in a post.

Now the beer!

Buying the small local breweries is always the coolest thing to do. But at the same time i've had some terrible brews at small breweries. I'm searching for something that is extreem and unique and you just usually can't find that with the big beer companies that are tyring to feed the masses.

With that said i do make fun of people who drink bud and miller exclusively. Because anyone who tries real craft beer, and i mean really tries is, cannot prefer the pale fizzy lager. It is a physical imposibility for someone to try SN Celebration and then think miller light is superior. Unless they have a goat mouth.

SA doesn't make many beers i like (however at the risk of being kicked off the message board i actually liked the cranberry lambic) I was expecting it to be terrible after reading about it on the board but i liked the brown sugar and you could taste the belgian yeast and slightly sour tang at the end of a sip.

Sam Adams Imperial Pilsner is amazing!

I agree I like beer of all shapes and sizes. Sometimes I am in the mood for a light fizzy beer like Bud, but most times it just seems tasteless to me. I like SA as well but find most of their beers go for the blandest of the style to appeal to many. My wife picked up the some stuff on sale the other day from SA & NB. Here are my thoughts:

SA Holiday Porter - pretty mild and bland for a porter imho
SA Old Fezziwig - loved this, darker than expected, but what a nice combo of flavors!
SA Cran Lambic - wife and I liked this, drank em up quick, but i also was surprised on how non-sour & non-sweet it was for lambic.
SA Creme Stout - Wow what a creamy mouthful of stout! A tie with Fezziwig for favorite
SA Lager - uh did they have to put the everyday in the mix? still like it, wife hates it.
SA Winter Lager - much betterthan the regular lager imho

She also go the New Belgium folly pack

Mothership Wit - wow really like this, much more than the standard hefe wheat beer
Trippel - mmm bananas, but couldn't drink more than 1 or 2 in a sitting
1554 - simply love this beer, great roast flavor
Fat Tire - when i fist moved to AZ i drank this all the time, got burned out on it, hadn't had in awhile so was a nice reminder of how good it is...

Now I also have been known to drink bud/bud light/coors light/keystone by the truckload, guess I just like beer in all it's various forms but I still miss Yeungling. I generally like to try random beers but usually go for local AZ breweries, support your local brewer! Down with snobs, up with expanding horizons and trying new things!

There is many worse brews out there...I would drink the Lambic over a Bud Light
the Cranberry Lambic induces vomit and the Bud Lite just tastes like water and is inoffensive. there's no comparison. one is utterly undrinkable and the other is nothing but drinkable

I tried the Lambic. Hated it. My wife loved it. I went and got something different for myself, and let her finish my lambic. A win-win solution.

II LOVE beer. I appreciate that we need Sam Adams-like companies. I am a snob. I am just sick of how seriously people take themselves.

Here, here. I read Beer Advocate from time to time, just out of curiosity or to get specs on a brew. But when I read those, alot of the time it really reminds me of Paul Giamatti in 'Sideways'...and it's comical really.

If the goal is enjoyment, then the product is only half of the equation. A lot of it depends on the 'enjoyer'. I made a Schwarzbier that I feel is dynamite. My buddy who didn't care for it was drinking that Blue Dog (or whatever it's called) that is 8%, super sweet, and brewed with blueberry 'flavors'. I found it to be nasty-but he really liked it-go figure.

I will admit that since I've been brewing, my tastes have become a little more specialized-and it could seem snobby. For example, I don't really care for SNPA anymore because I've grown tired of Cascades. That doesn't make it a bad beer at all, but when I try to explain myself, it can seem elitist.

To the OP-I totally agree. Drink what you like!

Congratulations to Sammy, SN, Stone.....etc. They are not only a brewery, they are a business. Businesses do not idle or they will fail. So, hat's off for being nationally recognized names.

In response to Sam Adams Black Lager....YUM! Schwarzbier is my beer of choice on ANY occasion. The only thing I would change about that beer is the apparent black malt used. I'm not a fan of roasty character in a schwarz. But, Sammy has that sweet finish that keeps me coming back for more.

I'm not a snob either. When it's effin hot and I want a thirst quencher, Miller Lite goes down just fine. Nothing to do with "great taste, less filling," hot chicks, or their witty advertising. I just like it when I want something cold and not complex on my tongue.

You know what it is about BMC drinkers that just bothers me is?

Most of the time these BMC drinkers, like my friends, scoff at me for anything thats not a bottle of Molson Canadian, Keiths or Bud and are completely unwilling to get their feet wet in anything else, In a world with literally hundreds of different beer styles. Its just dissapointing when someone claims to love beer, but only drink a single beer style when there are sooooo many. What is so scary about trying different beer?

It seems to me like alot of these people who drink these beers but steer well away from microbrews do so more because they drink for the ritual of drinking beer then actually to enjoy the flavour of the beer itself. They like the idea of "having a beer" and the getting drunk aspect of it, but none of them REALLY like the taste of beer, at least this is the way it seems to me. They shy away from anything that actually has a flavour profile, and they cant drink their beer without it being ice cold, and reallly love their "light beer" that has even less flavour. I cant even count the number of times I have heard the expression "this beer is piss warm" from BMC drinkers. THAT IS THE ACTUAL FLAVOUR OF THE BEER UNMASKED BY THE COLD!

The moral of the story is, there are people like most of us here that enjoy beer and everything about it, and the hardcore BMC drinkers who enjoy the "idea of drinking beer". Obviously this isnt completely universal but I think its true in a hell of a lot of situations

You know what it is about BMC drinkers that just bothers me is?

Most of the time these BMC drinkers, like my friends, scoff at me for anything thats not a bottle of Molson Canadian, Keiths or Bud and are completely unwilling to get their feet wet in anything else, In a world with literally hundreds of different beer styles. Its just dissapointing when someone claims to love beer, but only drink a single beer style when there are sooooo many. What is so scary about trying different beer?

It seems to me like alot of these people who drink these beers but steer well away from microbrews do so more because they drink for the ritual of drinking beer then actually to enjoy the flavour of the beer itself. They like the idea of "having a beer" and the getting drunk aspect of it, but none of them REALLY like the taste of beer, at least this is the way it seems to me. They shy away from anything that actually has a flavour profile, and they cant drink their beer without it being ice cold, and reallly love their "light beer" that has even less flavour. I cant even count the number of times I have heard the expression "this beer is piss warm" from BMC drinkers. THAT IS THE ACTUAL FLAVOUR OF THE BEER UNMASKED BY THE COLD!

The moral of the story is, there are people like most of us here that enjoy beer and everything about it, and the hardcore BMC drinkers who enjoy the "idea of drinking beer". Obviously this isnt completely universal but I think its true in a hell of a lot of situations

I'd say you may have hit the nail on the head!!!

I'll drink anything. Beer snobs are akin to music snobs who stop listening to bands as soon as their cds show up in Best Buy. Sometimes I have PBR or Keystone Light in the fridge. Other times I have Oskar Blues or Sam Adams in the fridge. Still other times the only beer in the house is homebrew. I could care less what other people want to drink. Sometimes I rib my buddies for sticking to Coors Light but they know it's a running joke and I know it's a running joke. Who really cares?

My beer choices depending on what's available: in order

1) My homebrew
2) beer from the brewery in town or other regional brewery (shop local)\
3) Random beers from other microbrewerys around the country - depending on mood
4) Siera Nevada - nothing against them. I've just had them a bunch and like trying new things
5) Sam Adams - Same as Siera Nevada. Though I stay away from the Boston Lager. Do not like that beer. But others are fine.
6) Yuengling
7) If its a choice between BMC and MBC I'll take a Miller Lite. the best of the BMC's IMO.

And If it's free I don't complain about the choice of beer selection. I don't tell other people what they should drink unless they ask me.

does this make me a snob? I don't know.

Though one time at a football tailgate I was drinking Yuengling and we started playing a drinking game. This girl gave me a funny look and said "I can't believe you are playing this game with a 'Lager'!" - While drinking bud light. I turned to her and said "you are playing with a 'lager' too". she just gave me an even weirder look.

you know what it is about bmc drinkers that just bothers me is?

Most of the time these bmc drinkers, like my friends, scoff at me for anything thats not a bottle of molson canadian, keiths or bud and are completely unwilling to get their feet wet in anything else, in a world with literally hundreds of different beer styles. Its just dissapointing when someone claims to love beer, but only drink a single beer style when there are sooooo many. What is so scary about trying different beer?

It seems to me like alot of these people who drink these beers but steer well away from microbrews do so more because they drink for the ritual of drinking beer then actually to enjoy the flavour of the beer itself. They like the idea of "having a beer" and the getting drunk aspect of it, but none of them really like the taste of beer, at least this is the way it seems to me. They shy away from anything that actually has a flavour profile, and they cant drink their beer without it being ice cold, and reallly love their "light beer" that has even less flavour. I cant even count the number of times i have heard the expression "this beer is piss warm" from bmc drinkers. That is the actual flavour of the beer unmasked by the cold!

The moral of the story is, there are people like most of us here that enjoy beer and everything about it, and the hardcore bmc drinkers who enjoy the "idea of drinking beer". Obviously this isnt completely universal but i think its true in a hell of a lot of situations

+2.................

I'm sure some of my buddies consider me a beer snob too, but that's fine. I'll try any beer no matter who brews it and then form an opinion. I've tried all the big BMC beers along with Natty Light, Jacob's Best, Brew City, Milwaukee's Best, and the like and to me they taste awful. It doesn't matter who makes it, if it's gross then I'll avoid it.

I've gone out with friends who would drink the random BMC beer they had on special in mass quantities and then they'd poke fun at me for drinking a Sierra Nevada. I've had that Miller Lite they were drinking dozens of times and I don't care for it, it's pretty straight forward. In my time, I've seen FAR more "reverse beer snobs" who will rag on you for not drinking BMC rather than the opposite.

Back