Beer smells strange after 10 days primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nreed

Reaction score
Hi all.
First post, 3rd brew currently in the primary fermenter.

I started with two pretty basic recipes using a Kona Big Wave clone which turned out nice but wanted something a little bigger on flavour so decided to try a BrewDog Hop Fiction clone.

I’ve just dry hopped on day 10 in the primary and the smell was super strong and not sure if it’s an alcohol or slightly chemically smell. The last two certainly didn’t smell like this but there is a load more hops in this one so not sure if that’s part of it and it’s normal but it’s enough to get me worried about the batch!

If it helps I make small 7.5 litre (uk) batches pitched using half a sachet of US-05 which is the same as the previous batches. The process seemed to go well and fermentation seemed really strong in terms of activity in the airlock so was really hopeful that this was going be a great batch full of tropical smells and flavours! Can anyone help calm my worry’s and tell me it’s all going to be ok... please... 🤣

Hi all.
First post, 3rd brew currently in the primary fermenter.

I started with two pretty basic recipes using a Kona Big Wave clone which turned out nice but wanted something a little bigger on flavour so decided to try a BrewDog Hop Fiction clone.

I’ve just dry hopped on day 10 in the primary and the smell was super strong and not sure if it’s an alcohol or slightly chemically smell. The last two certainly didn’t smell like this but there is a load more hops in this one so not sure if that’s part of it and it’s normal but it’s enough to get me worried about the batch!

If it helps I make small 7.5 litre (uk) batches pitched using half a sachet of US-05 which is the same as the previous batches. The process seemed to go well and fermentation seemed really strong in terms of activity in the airlock so was really hopeful that this was going be a great batch full of tropical smells and flavours! Can anyone help calm my worry’s and tell me it’s all going to be ok... please... 🤣

Wouldn't worry about it, fermentation can cause some nasty smells...whenever I ferment it 34/70 the chamber wreaks of sulfer and rotten eggs...beer turns out great!

RDWHAHB!

:mug:

Most likely it's fine. During fermentation lots of strange smells can be produced. RDWHAHB - Since you're new and it's an old expression... Relax, Don't Worry. Have A Homebrew

Most likely it's fine. During fermentation lots of strange smells can be produced. RDWHAHB - Since you're new and it's an old expression... Relax, Don't Worry. Have A Homebrew

Thanks - I did have to google that one!!

Update on this one..

I bottled on Day 13 and the smell was far less pronounced and I was getting a big hit of tropical fruit aroma - fingers crossed it’s a good one! 🍻

If it helps I make small 7.5 litre (uk) batches pitched using half a sachet of US-05 which is the same as the previous batches. The process seemed to go well and fermentation seemed really strong in terms of activity in the airlock so was really hopeful that this was going be a great batch full of tropical smells and flavours! Can anyone help calm my worry’s and tell me it’s all going to be ok... please...

Yeast will create other alcohol than just ethanol if the temperature during fermentation is too high and those other alcohols (called fusel alcohol) have a strong smell and taste. If you drink enough the are reported to lead to a wicked hangover too. I don't know when you brewed your other batches nor where you live but where I live it is winter conditions and I have the heat turned on in the house. This leads to a warmer fermentation unless otherwise controlled and this can be the cause. There are methods to control the fermentation temperature and if you are not already using one of these you need to learn how to keep the fermenting beer at the right temperature range.

Yeast will create other alcohol than just ethanol if the temperature during fermentation is too high and those other alcohols (called fusel alcohol) have a strong smell and taste.

Just to add to this. Every beer has some fusel alcohols. It's a question of how much.

(Some types of esters we know and (sometimes) love are made (inside yeast cells) from certain fusel alcohols. But the yeast never quite clean up all of the fusels.)

Back