beer pouring FAST from picnic tap, in keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A50SNAKE

Reaction score
hello all, so I am lazy and I still have not built a collar for my keezer, so I’m pouring from picnic taps, that never had any issues before…but all of a sudden my mosaic honey wheat and my hefe are pouring almost an entire glass of foam…and it comes out incredibly fast! Like I mean it will fill a glass within seconds…and i’m not sure what this could be, so I’m looking for ideas.

I pulled the PRV until nothing more came out, put it back on gas, and it poured good for one glass…next day, full glass of foam again.

I’m wondering if it continued fermentation in the keg and mixing that with the CO2, has caused it to be over carbed?

my keezer is set to 3 degrees C, with a 1 C tolerance, so it might get up to 4-4.5C.

my picnic tap has a 12 foot bevlex line on it, I think…but, as i mentioned its never caused me issues like this in the 5 or so years I’ve used it on beers, ciders and hard lemonades.

thanks for any help. :mug:

If you've had it rocking for five years, first thing i'd check is to see if the thermostat is not bad and the temperature is raising inside without your knowledge.

I wouldn't think that continued fermentation in the keg would affect it that much overnight unless it is still dropping a lot of gravity points.

What pressure are you serving at, and what is the ID of your beer line? Have you changed anything in your system recently (fittings, hose, faucet, temp setting, etc.)?

Anyway, the fact that it's pouring too fast means your system is unbalanced. If nothing has changed, I don't know why it could have happened. But, the serving pressure is too high for your line resistance. Have you run your system through a line length calculator?

If you've had it rocking for five years, first thing i'd check is to see if the thermostat is not bad and the temperature is raising inside without your knowledge.

I wouldn't think that continued fermentation in the keg would affect it that much overnight unless it is still dropping a lot of gravity points.

I will check that, I will pick up an oven thermometer and throw that in there, just to be sure.

What pressure are you serving at, and what is the ID of your beer line? Have you changed anything in your system recently (fittings, hose, faucet, temp setting, etc.)?

Anyway, the fact that it's pouring too fast means your system is unbalanced. If nothing has changed, I don't know why it could have happened. But, the serving pressure is too high for your line resistance. Have you run your system through a line length calculator?

and here I thought I captured everything, LOL...

serving at 10-12psi
ID of the line I will have to verify, it is the BEVLEX 200 I know that.
no changes at all...again, Lazy as I mentioned, hahaha

on the same regulator, with a different picnic tap set up, my Berliner pours just fine...so that is why I was leaning towards a keg(s) issue...

what I will try is, to switch the picnic taps, the berliner to the hefe and wheat, and vice versa.

no, i have not put anything thru the online calculators yet...I just bought the picnic tap kits from OBK and used them. and like I mentioned, never been an issue on 12 beers and countless ciders, and hard lemonades...just seemed weird.

I'm wondering if its my CO2 tank is empty or nearing empty? but then why does it not affect my sour, which is in the same keezer, and using the same manifold, off of the same CO2 tank...the ONLY difference is the picnic tap set up...which, I will change tonight and see if that makes a difference.

also, I keep my picnic taps connected to the kegs, and resting inside the keezer, to keep them at the proper temperature.

thanks for the replies.

The first thing to do is to swap the disconnects/tap line and pour a beer. See if that fixes the problem.

If not, there could be a piece of debris in the diptube or in the post of the keg. Then you could depressurize the keg, remove the post and clean out the post/poppet and diptube. It could also be a missing o-ring or something.

The first thing to do is to swap the disconnects/tap line and pour a beer. See if that fixes the problem.

If not, there could be a piece of debris in the diptube or in the post of the keg. Then you could depressurize the keg, remove the post and clean out the post/poppet and diptube. It could also be a missing o-ring or something.

ah, see that's why I love this place...many other minds thinking along with me, more likely to come up with the issue.

I will check that also...if the switching picnic taps doesn't work.

thanks for your reply as well.

Back