Beer not fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinnan5150

Reaction score
I have come to two conclusions:

1) It did not convert. It should have since it was 30 minutes at 157. Should have been an hour but I accidentally raised the temp to 200.

2) I pitched the yeast when the wort was too hot. Brew kettle thermometer said 80 and it was cool to the touch.

I am thinking of repitching. Any thoughts or am I sunk?

I have come to two conclusions:

1) It did not convert. It should have since it was 30 minutes at 157. Should have been an hour but I accidentally raised the temp to 200.

2) I pitched the yeast when the wort was too hot. Brew kettle thermometer said 80 and it was cool to the touch.

I am thinking of repitching. Any thoughts or am I sunk?

Neither one of those would stop fermentation.

Is it possible that it's just still reproducing, or that the amount of yeast pitched was not enough?

How do you know it isn't fermenting?

This ^ How do you know it's not fermenting, the airlock? Don't determine fermentation by airlock activity. Also pitching in warm wort can result in a very fast fermentation with off flavors. It could be you just missed the signs of fermentation.

I would wait 3 days and then take a gravity reading. If nothing has changed then repitch some yeast.

I think I have discovered the culprit. I think the seal around the airlock on my bucket lid isn't tight. I can hear CO2 escaping and can smelly the lovely smell of fermentation

Back