Beer not clearing - looks like mud

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetuchenBrewerNJ

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I brewed a clone of 90 Minute from BYO on August 29th. I racked to the secondary (glass carboy) and added the dry hop on September 6th (today is the 15th). Over a week later, it still hasn't cleared at all. It looks like mud, or like I dug a hole on the beach, water filled it up, and I mixed it all together. Any ideas what going on? A picture and my recipe are below.

Recipe:
5 gal, all-grain
OG: 1.089, Gravity at rack: 1.02
Boil: 90 Minutes
Primary: 8/29-9/6, Secondary: 9/6-

16.5# US Pilsner
1.66# Amber
2 oz Amarillo @ 90-0
.62 oz Simcoe @ 90-0
.53 oz Warrior @ 90-0
1 oz Amarillo DH
.5 oz Simcoe DH
.5 oz Warrior DH
Whitbread yeast (from starter - started off with a very healthy fermentation over night)

photo.jpg

Any ideas? Thanks for the help!

It's likely suspended hop particles. You can cold crash, use a fining agent, or just give it more time.

Personally, I think you have a stalled out fermentation. That is a very high gravity beer. Check the gravity. If it's still high, you'll have to add more yeast.

It sounds like you moved it off of the yeast before fermentation was complete. What is the current gravity?

I wonder if the wort was clear, before pitching the yeast? It's hard to say, but if you didn't have complete conversion (clear wort) before pitching the yeast, it could be a starch haze that we see. By now, the yeast should have been flocculating, at least a bit, and the beer should be fairly clear.

It goes without saying, but next time make sure fermentation is done and the beer is starting to clear before racking to the clearing vessel, and dryhop about a week before packaging.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the answers. My gravity is still at 1.020, which is still lower than what BeerSmith predicted (BS predicted 1.023). The wort was fairly clear before pitching, at least as clear as it usually is, and I've never had this problem. I added gelatin and cold crashed, and it helped a very little bit (it's been almost 48 hours), but still very cloudy.

I don't really mind if it doesn't clear, it still smells great. Just wondering out of curiosity.

Thanks again.

Update: I took a reading today and it was at 1.011. So I decided to rack. Not as good as usual, but much better. I guess the combo of cold crashing, gelatin, and time was all I needed.

Thanks everyone.

Glad its improving....next time don't move a high OG batch after only 8 days in primary. As a matter of fact don't move it at all until it's done. You can dry hop in the primary.

Back