Beer lines and Cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWE

All Grain supports the Brain
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've read a lot of things on cleaning beer lines and I actually follow most of what I've read. But I do have a question and I'd like to see others thoughts.

Ok, I understand the spout cleaning and why it needs to be done as it sits on the outside of the keezer. As for the beer line that attaches to the shank and then to the Ball lock QD, if that part is in the keezer and refrigerated what is the difference between that line and the supply tube inside the keg? Wouldn't that be close to the same? You don't pull the supply line out of the keg and clean it every two weeks, yet many suggest to clean the supply hose from the Keg to Shank every two weeks.

BTW, the main reason I ask is because I work away from home for 4 weeks at a time and when I leave I generally disconnect and clean so it will be ready when I get home. But the wife does like a home brew from time to time, so I'm wondering if it would be ok to leave hooked up for the 4 weeks that I'm gone.

I built that little hand pump beer line cleaner that you can find on here. I use it when I kick a keg. I don't clean every two weeks. Has been fine for the past 5 years.. Do with that what you will. ;)

i second dfess1 .. i have a hand pump cleaner that i use just after i kick a keg.. sometimes i go months w/o changing one of them (i have 3 on tap at the same time so it can take a while) and i've never noticed any off flavors or whatnot

Can anyone point me in the direction of the instructions for the hand pump cleaner? I have been using CO2 to force cleaner and starsan through when kick a keg,and a hand pump sounds great.!

Back