Beer line residue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carrollyn

Reaction score
I just started kegging a short while ago. I had understood that flushing the lines with pbw was the way to head off beer stone and clean the lines. Now I'm seeing a cloudy residue that I can only think is beer stone. I have made the solution nice and strong, I have let it set for awhile before flushing it, to no avail. I started looking around and am confused about the best practice to use with what type cleaner for this issue.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1451685171.038500.jpg

That doesn't look like beer stone to me. It looks more like the line was allowed to sit for a bit after being emptied, as if the foam dried on to the side walls. A PBW solution should remove that. For beer stone removal, you'll need an acid solution such as a phosphoric and nitric acid blend.

When I clean my lines, I use BLC (Beer Line Cleaner). For "rinsing" between kegs or just a quick clean (more of a rinse with muscles), I use PBW which is an alkaline cleaner. Like Tiber said, to really clean the lines you need an acid based cleaner.

What is in your lines isn't beerstone, so it should come off pretty easily. Beerstone is hard, and not foamy like that.

Thanks, I appreciate the observations. As I said, I have used pbw on this, extra strong, let it set, flushed it, etc, but it doesn't seem to be helping at all for this stuff, and there it is, getting more so as I use it. My other line that has been less used also shows it somewhat. I guess maybe I should get some blc and run it through just to see how it does?

It looks like PBW residue. Next time mix PBW as directed, ( more is not always better ) flush with water then Starsan.

Using BLC is a good way to clean beer lines. That is especially true when the deposits appear to be organic (something growing). However, I've found that BLC can be weak in cleaning some growths. That's when I call in the big gun and hit my lines with a lye solution. While you do need to be very careful with that solution, it is very effective in clearing organic growths in lines. I find that I need to leave the solution in the lines for a day or so to get them spotless.

If the deposits are inorganic (probably beerstone), then an acid cleaner is best suited.

Thanks, I appreciate the observations. As I said, I have used pbw on this, extra strong, let it set, flushed it, etc, but it doesn't seem to be helping at all for this stuff, and there it is, getting more so as I use it. My other line that has been less used also shows it somewhat. I guess maybe I should get some blc and run it through just to see how it does?

I have the same problem. I think what happens is the lines don't stay full so beer foam dries in the line. PBW doesn't seem to fix it. BLC seems expensive for the amount I'd need in a keg to flush out but I need to try it.

Anyone know if my setup has issues to cause the lines to have this happen? I can't see what I can do different except shorter lines maybe. Or is it normal for gaps to form and the foam to dry inside the line?

I have the same problem. I think what happens is the lines don't stay full so beer foam dries in the line. PBW doesn't seem to fix it. BLC seems expensive for the amount I'd need in a keg to flush out but I need to try it.

You don't need a keg full BLC, just something like this.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=226497

Anyone know if my setup has issues to cause the lines to have this happen? I can't see what I can do different except shorter lines maybe. Or is it normal for gaps to form and the foam to dry inside the line?

Gaps in beer line could be warm lines or over carbed beer.

PapaO

Immediately flush beer foam out of your lines when you kick a keg. Also flush afterward when you're cleaning with an alkaline cleaner. Then run some sanitizer through and leave some in the lines until the next keg is tapped.

Back