Beer line length

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstringer1983

Reaction score
Ok i know this subject has been touched on a million times. But, i did search the site and didnt find much. I have googled the subject and found mixed answers. I took 2 years off from brewing and basically forgot all i knew, including balancing my system. I am replacing all of my lines that have been sitting in my keggerator all this time and realized "oh yeah, theres a formula to this" , so here i am. Now my question is, when you guys calculate your line length, are you including shank and faucet resistances? I found conflicting opinions. So should i just go with my desired keg psi, subtract my resistance per foot and leave a psi or so for tap pressure, or-keg psi, subtract line resistance AND shank and faucet resistance and leave a psi or so for tap pressure. Oh and no gravity as my tap and keg height are the same. Thanks!

Day_trippr-i stumbled upon that calculator and for some reason it gives me weird results, like telling me to run 14 feet of line for 13 psi keg pressure. Im just curious about whether or not to include my tap resistance and ill do the math, i dont trust these calculators

Day_trippr-i stumbled upon that calculator and for some reason it gives me weird results, like telling me to run 14 feet of line for 13 psi keg pressure. Im just curious about whether or not to include my tap resistance and ill do the math, i dont trust these calculators

Trust this calculator (but none of the others.) Worst thing long lines can do is slow your pour down a bit. Short lines can foam, and cost you lost carbonation because of the foaming. You can always shorten lines a little if the pour time is intolerable, but you can't lengthen a short line to get rid of foam.

Brew on :mug:

Yes, trust that calculator. And actually, if you ever intend on running a higher carbonated beer, a couple extra feet on top of that won't hurt. Not sure the temperature, but a wheat beer might like 16 psi if your "normal" beer is served at 13 psi.(if you carbonate to style).

I did not include shank or faucet resistance when using this calculator.

That calculator told me 12' at 12psi, I bumped to 13psi. S it is good to go! Close enough in my book and a psi one way or the other is no big deal. I could drop back to 12psi but I like a little more carbonation in my strong bitter.

Yes, that seems right. Generally, at colder temperatures, it works out to at least 1 foot per 1 psi on the regulator. Warm beer foams more, so for a warmer temperature I'd go with a bit more line. I keep my kegerator at 40 degrees, and have 15' lines. They are a bit longer than absolutely necessary, but it only takes like half a second longer to pour a pint than with 12' lines.

Okay thanks for all the replies everyone😀, just seemed a bit long to me, but i will go with what the calculator says and forget it! Cheers

I did notice that with longer lines, the very first pour is a little off tasting. As if the beer stuck in the 10' of line is "stale".
I usually pour the first 6oz of beer into a plastic cup and set it aside.
Huge waste of beer, but the staleness sucks. Anyone else have this problem?

I usually did a quick pour to clear the lines and taps also. Nothing makes you look cooler to your guests than pro bartending skills 😎

I did notice that with longer lines, the very first pour is a little off tasting. As if the beer stuck in the 10' of line is "stale".
I usually pour the first 6oz of beer into a plastic cup and set it aside.
Huge waste of beer, but the staleness sucks. Anyone else have this problem?

I do the same thing, but it's only about 2 - 3 oz in my case. Found this that says it's 1 oz for every 6 ft of 3/16 beerline.

Standard direct draw units usually will use between 4’ and 6’ of 3/16” ID vinyl beer tubing. Longer draft beer systems will require different sizes, lengths and types of beer line. *These are all measurable.

The inner diameter of the tubing (ID) determines the liquid contents:

********** 3/16” ID = 1/6 oz/ft

In the following examples we will apply these tubing sizes and beer volumes to calculate the amount of beer in each system:

1.*Example: 4 Keg Direct Draw Box

******* 3/16” vinyl beer lines 6’ each* X 1/6 oz per ft. = 1oz

http://www.micromatic.com/beer-lose-clean-beer-lines-aid-367.html

I've been using picnic taps inside a freezer for about a year but I am planning a keezer build. The picnic taps came with 5' of line and I haven't had any issues with foaming to date. According to HBT posts and the linked calculator I should be using 10+ feet of line. I normally run 11-12 PSI at 40 degrees. Just wondering if folks out there run 5' without problems? Is there a flow difference between a picnic tap and a faucet?
Cheers

My picnic tap flows more than my flow control perlick does. I can get as much or as little head with the picnic tap depending on how I handle it. I run low pressure on beers, 5-7 psi with a 5ft. long line. But I am more in to British style ales. Medium temp, low pressure.

Could anyone suggest lengths for the Accuflex Be-Seal Ultra lines? Currently using 13' on my EJ lines and am switching over. I often do hefeweizens carbed to 17-18psi. Thinking 20' or 25'?

Rev.

Could anyone suggest lengths for the Accuflex Be-Seal Ultra lines? Currently using 13' on my EJ lines and am switching over. I often do hefeweizens carbed to 17-18psi. Thinking 20' or 25'?

Rev.
I use 15' which works but I think 20' may be better. I didnt have enough line to go with 20' then cut back as needed so i went with 15'.

I've been using picnic taps inside a freezer for about a year but I am planning a keezer build. The picnic taps came with 5' of line and I haven't had any issues with foaming to date. According to HBT posts and the linked calculator I should be using 10+ feet of line. I normally run 11-12 PSI at 40 degrees. Just wondering if folks out there run 5' without problems? Is there a flow difference between a picnic tap and a faucet?
Cheers
Are you using 1/4" lines or 3/16? the smaller line presents a higher resistance per foot and results on less line length. I couldn't find a reasonable 1/4" line length that prevented foaming. Had to move to 3/16"

I’m using and plan to use 3/16. I’ll probably just go with 10’ lines to be safe. It’s not much more expensive and I can trim them if needed.

Back