Beer line cut for ball lock - now what about commercial coupler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backflip

Reaction score
Per instruction, I cut off the end of the beer lines which came with pre-attached ends that fit onto commercial couplers. This was so that I could fit the ends over the ball lock couplers.

But say now I wanted to hook up a commercial coupler, how would I do that now that I've cut those ends off? Get new lines?

There is adapters that replace that couple with a hose barb and nut that will screw on to the commercial keg coupler. If this is an edge star kegerator or similar it probably comes with the adapters to make it work, I know that mine did.

The other option is to abandon all your hose barb ball lock adapters, and get the ones with the flare threads. Then you can buy a stainless tail piece with a flare fitting, and replace the hose barbs on the sanke coupler with a pair of them, one for gas and one for liquid. I keep a small wench where my keg fridge is in case I need to swap the fittings. I think they might be cheaper than the ball lock fittings. However, I guess it would depend upon which type of ball lock fittings you are currently using.

TD

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Its actually very easy, I had to do it for my wedding venue, I had to make it easy to swap between Sanke and Ball lock so when we left the venue we could get it all back the way it was.

You simply need a Male and female flare fitting.

Not sure what type of fittings you already have but the basic Chain is this

3/16 or 1/4" Barbed fitting to 1/4" Swivel Nut(Female)
This goes into the end of your beer line, with the swivel on the outside.
image_1940.jpg

Now connecting ball lock connectors is easy, they all have Male 1/4" flare connectors that connect directly to this. If you want ball lock, just screw it in.

image_1920.jpg

For the Sanke side you need a 1/4" MFL(Male Flare)tail piece fitting like this
FT003-2.jpg

That goes in the also shown beer nut which you should probably already have from your Sanke hookup assuming it didnt come all as one piece

From there you have a male fitting as well, just unscrew the ball lock, and screw it onto the sanke connector. You'll end up with something like this
AddaSankeTaptoHomebrewKit__22435.1360849185.600.400.jpg

All of these will probably be ~10-15 bucks per line, so $20-30 for beer + gas.

Back